We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

We are traveling to Rome the middle of February and we would like to ask if anyone has any experience in taking the SITBus shuttle from the Fiumicino airport to Piazza dei Cinquecento which is in front of the Roma Termini. Our hotel is near the Piazza della Repubblica and we were planning to walk to the hotel from the terminal. Our main concern is safety and second that we may get stuck in traffic with the bus (I hear it takes 50 minutes to get to the center with the bus or even more since we are arriving early in the morning on a week day). Would the other option be to take the Leonardo Express train or FR1 suburban train from the airport to the Roma Termini?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

Rome traffic is often heavy, and you will have a slow journey into Rome during week day peak.

You have a choice of inexpensive but possibly slow bus, or the more expensive but faster Leonardo Express. The FL1 suburban train does not go to Termini.

Rome
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

Traffic is terrible coming into the city on a weekday, especially from the airport. The train from the airport is a great way to get into the center. You'll have to walk almost as far in the airport terminal to get to the train as you will at Termini to get to Piazza della Repubblica. It's not far at all.

Safety is not really an issue on a weekday morning. Going the other direction from Termini (away from Piazza della Repubblica) is much iffier at night, but again not during the daytime. Although not as safe as it was a few years ago, Rome is still one of the best places to walk any time of day or night.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 04:17
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

There are several bus links from FCO to Termini but all face the same issues with traffic. The LE train is faster, in all circumstances, but less comfortable in my opinion. Unless I'm in a big hurry and/or have a train to catch at Termini, I'm okay with the slightly longer bus ride where I have a seat (not usually the case on the LE, in my experience) and where my bag is stowed and I don't have to stand over it for the entire trip.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
564 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

You could also take the FR1 to Roma Tuscolana, then a little walk to the metro station Ponte Lungo and a straight metro journey from Ponte Lungo to Repubblica (direction Battistini).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

Thanks so much for all your comments.

Looks like either option is satisfactory, we just need to take in consideration the time spend in traveling with either option and level of comfort.

6. Re: Fiumicino Airport to Rome (Piazza della Repubblica)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:23