We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Itinerary Sample

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,784 posts
538 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Itinerary Sample

I wanted to get an idea of how to put together my itinerary for my trip to Rome of some sites to see. Granted I am not sure how long these sites will take, so any adjustments or add-ons would be appreciated.

If you can help on letting me know if a day is not realistic or if I can add certain things to a day that would be very helpful.

Thursday

Arrive at 14:00 Hours. Get RomaPass at FCO Airport (Transportation for 3 Days will start using following day). Take Leonardo Express to Termini Station and then walk to hotel which is fairly close. Put stuff in the room. Say at hotel by 17:00 Hours.

Pantheon (first thing in Campo de Fiori Monday-Saturday: 8.30 am - 7.30 pm)

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

Victorio Emanuele II Monument

Roman Food Tour

Friday

Colosseum Underground (buy in advance)

Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill (These are an absolute Must for us over anything else)

Aurelian Wall (Museo delle Mura)

Forum of Augustus

Trajan’s Column

Saturday

Pompeii and Naples

or

Vatican/Sistine Chapel/National Roman Museum/(Undecided)

Sunday

Piramide di Caio Cestio, Diocletian Bath and the Octagonal Hall, Teatro di Pompeo (where Julius Caesar was killed)

March 31st Monday

Early Flight Back to U.S.

As a FYI, I put this list together off the top of my head, so I might be missing some things. But this is a rough estimate to have an idea of what is too much one day or too little.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 22:17
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

When you say food tour on your first night thee is this just you trying out a couple restaurants/bars or are you thinking an organized tour? If it's an organized one I'd say skip it as you'll probably be really tired your first night there.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,784 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

Sorry it would be the Roman Food Tour. although it will be our first night in Rome we are coming from our stay Istanbul earlier that day, so that is basically 2 and half hour flight, so I doubt we will be that tired.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

It looks exhausting, frankly. Here goes--

Thursday--doable if you're not jet-lagged. Keep in mind the Pantheon closes at 7 PM. You don't say where your hotel is; if it's close to the VE, then see it Thursday. I'm not sure about going in it during the evening. If you just want to see the outside, you could add it to your Roman Forum day, as it's right there.

Friday--pretty full day, but doable. I would make your Colosseum res. for early AM, then tour the Colosseum after your Underground tour. Then have lunch/rest before hitting the Palatine and the Forum. That can easily take 3-4 hours, especially if you're actually interested in it. :)

Sat--do which ever one interests you most. Going to Pompeii is very interesting, but it's a looooong day. You really should see St Peter's, even if you do skip the Museums. You could do that Sunday, if you pick Pompeii.

Sun--very light day. I might be wrong, but I think the pyramid is visible from the outside only; same for Pompey's theater (Largo Argentina). They are not close together, either. Diocletian's baths--I haven't been in years, but my husband went in 2012 and was not impressed (and he likes the old stuff). Unless you really want/need to see these things, I would suggest going to the Borghese Gallery instead, along with St Peter's.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

Oh, I assumed you were flying in from Texas. In that case you should be fine for the food tour. I wish we had seen PompeiI when we were in Rome but we were only there for 4 nights and there was just so much to see in Rome itself. That will be a trip for another day.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

Is your itinerary set up in the order you plan to visit things? If so, you need to change your colosseum day around. The colosseum, both forums, palatine hill and trajans coloumn are all right next to each other. It makes no sense to see the colosseum, forum and palatine hill and then go to the museo delle mura and then come back to see Trajans coloumn and the forum of Augustus. See that first or last that day as it's out of the area. This will flow much better.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

Trajan's Column and the Forum of Augustus are right across Via dei Fori Imperiali from the Roman Forum, and they can only be viewed from the street level, so you could see them in very little time.

The Diocletian Baths covered a very large area in what is now the Termini station area. (In fact, "Termini" derives from the Italian (Terme) and Latin (Thermae) words for a bath complex.) There is no one place to see it. Piazza della Repubblica is on the spot that was once the exedra (entrance hall) of the baths. The Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri is built in the ruins of another part. The Museo delle Terme Diocleziane is one part of the National Roman Museum, and is in still another part of the bath complex. Here, there is a large and very intact hall to your left as you enter the museum grounds, separate from the main part of the museum. This is probably the best preserved part of what's left of the Diocletian Baths. Inside, to your left, you can see two very well-preserved Roman painted tombs. (They were moved here after being unearthed in Testaccio in the mid-20th century.) One of them has a very interesting depiction of the Roman idea of rebirth. It shows the deceased as a grown man, but learning to walk all over again using a wheeled walker such as those used by Roman babies.

There's nothing to be seen of the theatre of Pompey, except for one exterior wall and some ruins in the cantine under some of the buildings between Largo Argentina and Campo dei Fiori. There is a restaurant called Teatro di Pompeo; if you eat there when they're not very busy and show a polite interest in seeing the part of the foundations under the restaurant, the proprietor may take you down to see them. If he's not there, or is busy doing other things, or isn't in the right mood, it won't happen, because the waiters aren't hired to show off the Roman ruins.

At Largo Argentina, you can see from above one of Rome's earliest forums, with the ruins of three temples and a public lavatory, among other things. The Curia of the Theatre of Pompey, which is where Caesar was assassinated, is supposed to be adjacent to this forum, but I've never been able to find a decent map that shows exactly where it is with respect to the present roads. I've read, though, that the curia is now underneath "a modern road and rail system". I don't know what rail system that would be, unless the tram that goes along Via Arenula. I've also read articles announcing that the entire complex would be open to visitors in 2013, but obviously that hasn't happened.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,784 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

I moved museo delle mura to sunday morning because it is only open from 9 am to 2 pm with 1:30 being the last entry.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,784 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

One thing I forgot to mention is what happens if it is raining all day, is that a bad day to do the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill or Pompeii? I'm not really sure what else I could do on a day if it is a 100% chance of rain. For instance I'm looking at the forecast now and it says for Wed Jan 29th and Thur Jan 30th it is a 100% chance of rain. I know it may be different near the end of March but still something to consider.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 19:42
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

Do you have a guidebook? If so, you will see you have countless options of things from which to choose to do if it rains. Countless.

If it is a rainy day - a really rainy day, I wouldn't opt to do those sites unless I had pre-paid tickets. And, I would never choose Pompei on a rainy day. But, again, you are hardly ever going to run out of fascinating options in Rome - not even if you were for a year so no need to worry on that score.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Itinerary Sample

Often when there is 100% chance of rain, it just means that it will definitely rain some time during the day. It may be only a light drizzle for ten minutes. Heavy pouring rain that lasts for hours is actually rather rare in Rome. Still, I would rather visit those places on a day when there's less chance of rain. I think the Colosseum would be better managed under the rain, because there are places that are covered from which you can look out over the complex. If you go to the Colosseum, and the weather seems too nasty for the Forum and Palatine Hill, you can visit the Capitoline Museums instead, and return for the Forum and Palatine Hill the next day, as the tickets are good for two successive days, although only one entrance to the Colosseum and one entrance to the combined Forum/Palatine site.