We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in January

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Rome in January

Looking to go to Rome next year in January for my 40th birthday. What is weather like? Is it worth going in Jan?

thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome in January

accuweather.com/en/…213490 in F, not C.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,635 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome in January

Rome is worth visiting any time of year! There are some real plusses to going to Rome during a less-crowded months like January (not including New Year's, which is definitely crowded!) While there may still be lines at the Vatican Museums and Colosseum (both of which can be bypassed with "skip the line" tickets), the crowds are definitely more manageable. During January or February, we've practically had some of Rome's smaller (but still amazing) museums practically to ourselves. And, with rare exception, we've been able to get reservations for any restaurants we want, or just walked in; not so easy in more crowded months. While no one can predict what the weather will be like next January, our usual experience has been that the weather is crisp but pleasant - winter coat and gloves, and an occasional umbrella, is all we've needed. We go to Rome several times a year to our place there and really enjoy the winter months. You may also find that airfare and accommodation prices go down a bit. Have a great time on your 40th Birthday Trip!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome in January

I have been to rome in Feb more than once and once in Dec, and have enjoyed it, but I am from a very cold climate.

Average high/low for Jan 1 is 10/3 degC.

www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome in January

The crowds at many of the major attractions are much less during the winter months, this has been a major reason for our having visited mainly during the Jan-Feb during our last handful of trips to Rome.

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome in January

Thank you everyone. I will definitely look into it in more detail, but sounds like we might go for it!!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome in January

good luck. I hope your winter vacation will be as nice as the ones we have enjoyed in the past in Feb

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

7. Re: Rome in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17