We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this really so complicated?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is this really so complicated?

On deciding to go self catering instead of to a hotel, I have found what looks like a great apartment just south of the main tourist area but within the city walls. Will be travelling from Ciampino (found one flight which arrives at 5pm in February :)) but the onward directions look very complicated .. maybe they have been lost in translation …

'Villa Bonelli….

-Ciampino airport, direct train to Trastevere station and bus H to Termini station and shuttle bus'

surely I would get a train (or bus) direct to Termini station then a local bus from there?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sue

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this really so complicated?

Link to the apartment's address would help.

And, if too complicated (there is no train right at that airport - you'd need to take a bus to the nearest (which is close) station. But, you could always just hop in a taxi for the flat fee of 30 euros.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,072 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this really so complicated?

Is Villa Bonelli the name of the apartment? I ask because there is a train station by that name on the local line from FCO airport, one stop south of the Trastevere station.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this really so complicated?

Hi MomCat .. wasn't sure if a link is allowed but … tripadvisor.co.uk/…amenities .. looks lovely and such good value. Or I have also found this slightly more expensive but maybe more amenable .. tripadvisor.co.uk/…rateDetails .. seems maybe a bit further out but it's so difficult to get a scale of things from a map.. I love green areas and it looks fantastic! We are going for 5 nights so not in too much of a hurry to see the city of Rome.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,072 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this really so complicated?

The first one is near the Villa Bonelli station. I think the easiest thing to do is take the Terravision or SIT bus to Termini, followed by the local train to either Trastevere or Ostiense, where you'd need to switch to the FR1 train to Villa Bonelli. (The FR 1 train does not stop at Termini so that it does not compete with the Leonardo Express train from Fiumicino airport.)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this really so complicated?

Well, five nights will just give you enough time to scratch the surface of Rome; I've been over 20 times and still have a list of things to see in future - but, if seeing a lot in Rome is not a priority, then being further away may suit you.

Rome can be very tiring - walking on unfamiliar surfaces (marble and cobblestones) and I personally like to be able to pop back into where I am staying to take a break for a bit before going out again - But, if you think you will be not want to do that, then this may work for you.

Look over the link below for information about public transportation passes:

roninrome.com/transportation/bus-metro-tram-…

That site, overall, has great information about Rome.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this really so complicated?

I looked at the map, and zoomed out. That Villa Bonelli apt is probably such a good value because it is out in the boonies south of even the Ostienese. That apt is loutside the city walls and therefore there is notya flat rate fomr the airport. Villa bonelli station is the blue train on this google map. The colosseum is the red circle and the green horseman is Piazza Navona

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Because it is out in the boonies, I double that you can get there fron Termini by taking jsut one bus.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this really so complicated?

The second apt is also in the boonies but might have better transport options because the Metro A is nearby.

It is practically in the Appian Way park. it is the yellow wrench on the google map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

outiside the city walls and not eligible for the fixed fare from the airport

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this really so complicated?

Thank you .. am becoming more familiar with the size and scale of the maps now and, in the greater scheme of things, think it's better to be at least within the city walls and near to good transport options. Found this map of the city walls (think I was looking at the railway line earlier!) scribd.com/doc/14144210/Rome-boundaries-old-… . Found the flipkey site ill continue the search for the perfect property …

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this really so complicated?

I always recommend for first time visitors to stay well within the historic center. Within the center, there are many choices of the different neighborhoods. There are numerous threads on this TA Forum "where to stay in Rome" - here's one going on now: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k71045…

In general, the more central locations are usually more expensive than those farther out. However, for the convenience of being able to walk to multiple sights (albeit you can't walk to everything), as well as the ability to just stroll and explore, and try so many restaurants and bars, the historic center is best for new visitors (Pantheon, Spanish Steps/Trevi, Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori, Monti, Jewish Ghetto, close in parts of Trastevere to name a few … )

Always check the specific address of an apartment or hotel before booking; I also recommend checking on access to public transportation (metro, trams, electric mini bus system) and taxi stands.

Hope this helps!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this really so complicated?

I totally agree with SpanishStepsApt. Although in theory saving money by staying further out may sound okay, staying in the historical centre allows you to maximize your time and enjoyment while there.