We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

Last trip I was lucky enough to do the Scavi tour. I applied for a place about three months before hand. I also pre-booked the Galleria Borghese as I had heard that it sometimes sells out.

Is there anything else that is worth pre-booking a few months prior to visiting Rome?

I'm less concerned with the 'skip the line' kind of pre-bookings that can be done a day or two ahead... more the sort of thing that books out months ahead, or you can only visit via special arrangement.

Scavi was just so incredible I'm keen to find other hidden gems missed by most people due to the extra planning time involved.

Thanks all.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

The colosseum underground tour tends to book up weeks to months in advance depending on the season.

donna

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

Donna

Would you say the Colosseum underground tour (or something else such as the Vatican museums/Sistine chapel) should be booked in advance for a weekend visit in early February?

I wasn't planning on pre-booking anything to be honest.

Allan

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

I always suggest booking the underground tour. It tends to sell out as it's a very popular tour.

For the Vatican museums if you visit in the afternoon you should find little to no lines. The inside will still be very crowded but the outside lines should be considerably less.

Donna

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

From experience, the Vatican Gardens should be booked a few weeks in advance, depending on the season. They are only accessible via a guided tour.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

Can someone please recommend a good guide that we can use to book the Vatican Gardens with? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

The official Vatican website for booking the Vatican Gardens is http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html . Apart from a guided tour of the Gardens, it includes unguided entry into the Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

Further to my last posting, I've just noticed that a new ticket is also available which combines the Vatican Gardens, Museums & Sistine Chapel with a guided tour of the newly re-opened Necropolis via Triumphalis.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

Thank you so much Aurelia08!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
356 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

We just returned from Rome and had pre-booked the Vatican Museum for 9:30 and when we arrived there was a long line of people waiting to get tickets. We were able to walk on by and go up to the reserved entrance, then the ticket window without waiting. My guess is that the people in the line had at least a one hour wait in the cold.. You should pre-book. Not hard to do and we changed the day and time of our reservation on line the day before our original time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Borghese, Scavi ... anything else to book early?

If you want to visit this, booking ahead is necessary:

www.palazzovalentini.it/index.php?lang=eng