We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tours in Rome

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Day Tours in Rome

Does anyone have a good experience they would like to share about a tour group, guide or itinerary? My husband and I will be in Rome late in September. We have only 2 full days in Rome at the beginning of a 3 week trip. I know this isn't much time in Rome, but it's what we have to work with. The sights we want to see on tour will be the colesseum (underground is essential), Forum, St, Peter's and the Vatican. We can independently see Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps. There are so many advertised tours, recommendations go a long way.

We are not sure if we should look for 1 full day tour or 2 half day tours.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 14:03
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Tours in Rome

You can book a tour of the colosseum underground by calling them. They offer tours daily. For the forum, you can book a tour onsite. These tours last about an hour and cost 5 euros.

For the Vatican museums you can book directly through their website. They have several different tours, one of which also includes the basilica.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

+39 06 399 67 700

Donna

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Tours in Rome

A much more expensive option would be a tour by a tour company. We used Walks of Italy but there are others also with good reputations. Our Colosseum tour included the underground and the top level which have restricted access. It also included the forum and Palatine.

They also have a Sistine Chapel tour called Pristine Sistine. If you book the early morning tour you get in an hour before the general public. This means you are sharing the chapel with about 100 people, It is not crowded and you get lots of time to study each panel. Bring a small pair of binoculars. Once the crowds arrive this tour moves off and stays ahead of the crows until St Peters where the advantage of the early start has been lost.

For a first time visitor like ourselves we thought we got good value for our money.

Here are images from our trip.

The 3-7 and 58 to 78 pictures are Colosseum tour and 113 to 136 Vatican. No pictures of the chapel are allowed.

flickr.com/photos/…

You will wish you had more time for Rome.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Tours in Rome

Identifying the type of tour you are comfortable with is important as well. Some are more "entertainment" oriented while others are more academic. I like Context Tours but they are heavily on the academic side of the scale.

http://www.contexttravel.com/city/rome

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Tours in Rome

good point elstravels. I would say Walks of Italy while full of good information was certainly more on the entertainment side. While explaining the history of Rome our guide had us role playing while sitting in the shade on the Palatine. Great fun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Tours in Rome

I am going to check out Walks if Italy. While it may be more expensive my husband and I, mid 50's are novices at traveling abroad. We don't even know how to use the subway. I really think we need the structure of a tour for us to make the most of Rome in a short amount of time. My husband is the history buff. I would appreciate the entertainment.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Tours in Rome

I also like the more academic approach of Context Rome. However, if you want the best of both worlds, academic and entertainment, go with Daniela Hunt of Mirabilia Urbis tours. She's just terrific. I learned more in 3 hours with her than in all the other tours I've taken in Rome combined. And even more important, she was so much fun for the entire time we didn't realize how much knowledge we were absorbing. She can customize any combination of sites that you wish. We sent her an email listing what we wanted to see (Palatine, Roman Forum and San Clemente) and she emailed us back with a meeting time and place along with her contact number.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Tours in Rome

Consider the HOHO City tour red #110. Covers over 80 sightseeing destinations in a 2.5 hour loop. Sit on top in front for the best views. Audio plug in guide. Take the loop then take it again and get off at the places of interest. Or take the Metro. It is very very easy to use. Ticket good for 24 hours. Happy travels!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Tours in Rome

thanks world traveller

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Tours in Rome

Just to avoid confusion, there is a single ticket and a one day ticket for the metro. The single ticket is only good for 100 minutes while the one day ticket is good until midnight, not 24 hours.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Tours in Rome

Valuable info Donna. Thanks.