We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ditching rental car?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Ditching rental car?

We are traveling to Italy in April/May, arriving in Ancona and renting a car to make a counter-clockwise tour through northern Italy. From the Cinque Terra area, we will head directly to Rome to spend a few days before returning to Ancona for our flight home. I've heard that having a car in Rome is crazy, so we'd like to ditch the rental car and use the metro while in Rome, then take a train to Ancona to the airport there. Having a hard time knowing where would be the best place to return rental car or learning which train station will have trains to Ancona at the end of our stay. Haven't booked a hotel or apartment yet, so that part is flexible. Would rather not lose a lot of time returning the car and transporting into Rome. Any suggestions as to a good area to plan to return the rental car, where it will be easy to catch a metro into Rome? And which train station services Ancona?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,970 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ditching rental car?

Car rental Ancona airport drop off Rome Ciampino airport

www.auto-Europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Italy, contact the AAA.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Bus Ciampino airport to Rome Termini www.sitabusshuttle.com

Trains Rome to Ancona www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for the current train times.

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome www.incinqueterre.com

Edited: 15 January 2014, 22:53
Dallas
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ditching rental car?

If rather have a root canal than drive in Rome! I would choose other options.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,939 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ditching rental car?

After one experience of driving into central Rome, I now drop off at FCO airport and use one of the many ways of getting from there into Rome.

Trains to Ancona leave from Termini.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ditching rental car?

Depending on your rental company, I would try and find an agency INSIDE the ring road. For example, with Hertz, I use one close to Conca d'Oro, then walk over to the Metro and take it into Termini.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ditching rental car?

I would ditch the car before Cinque Terre. Then use the trains to Rome and back to Ancona.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ditching rental car?

I have found that by (Ditching a very good description) the car at the Termini car rental location has worked for me for several reason. If you exit via Tiburtina from Hiway A1 in Rome East, that road leads directly to the Termini and there are many places to fill up your fuel tank. Ditch the car at once and don't attempt to drive any other places in Rome such as dropping off passengers/luggage at your hotel. Once you have ditched the car, there is ample means of public transportation to take you to your hotel

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ditching rental car?

A car is useless in 5 terre since there's no parking at all.

8. Re: Ditching rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19