We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining birth records in Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Obtaining birth records in Italy

I am staying in Rome for a week this February. My great grandmother, Angela Croce, was born in Teano, Italy, about 100 miles from Rome. I want to take a day trip there in an attempt to track down birth records for her and her family. Has anyone had any experience obtaining records from a town hall in Italy? Is it even possible?

Any information is appreciated.

Lee Cross

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

I obtained my grandfather's biorth certificate from the Commune in a small town in Sicily. I had to know exactly when he was born for them to get it. Luckily we knew that. We needed a letter in Italian to request the birth certificate; I had thought there would be a form to fill out and ouir marginal reading of italian would be enough. We got a kind stranger to help us, otherwise we were goign to go back to the hotel and have Google help us. with the Letter, we needed a receipt from the Post office that we had paid the fee for obtaining the certificate. A stranger helped us with that also. After we submitted the receipt and the letter they told us to come back in 2 days for it. 2 days later we picked it up.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

Thanks lupaling! Was the letter from you? Did you get the receipt from the Post office before or after requesting the birth certificate?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,073 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

Contact the Comune di Teano's Officio Anagrafe prior to arriving in Italy. The Ufficio Anagrafe is where all the people who were born in a town are registered.

http://www.comune.teano.ce.it/

www.comune.teano.ce.it/pagina_contenuto.asp…

You may enjoy reading about vngonz search for family.

Sicilian Heritage:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1531877-i24180-k5…

Letter just received from Casteldaccia:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k5834…

Buona fortuna!

Vagabonda

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

Rome is located in the Lazio region. Since Teano is in Campania, you'd better go there and ask the local Anagrafe or Municipio (Town Hall)...

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,917 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

This might be useful to you circolocalabrese.org/genealogy/italian-form-…

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

"Thanks lupaling! Was the letter from you?"

The letter was supposed to be from me requesting the birth certificate in italian

" Did you get the receipt from the Post office before or after requesting the birth certificate?"

We paid another sicilian to get it for us because we didn't know where the post office was or how to ask for the proper receipt. The person at the commune talked to the person getting the receipt and agreed to put through the request while we where there and that person was coming back with the receipt. I think you are supposed to have the receipt before you make the request, but hwo athen are you suppsed to know mcuh it is goign to cost?

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

Thanks all so much for your helpful responses!

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

Hi Lee,

Did you ever get that birth certificate from Teano? My girlfriend and I are setting out to do the same thing and would really appreciate if you can offer us any advice on how to do it, we'll probably only have one day in Teano.

9. Re: Obtaining birth records in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:16