We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
67 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

We will be arriving in Rome early morning on a Tuesday and leaving Friday morning. Would you recommend an apartment or a hotel? We've been leaning towards apartment (to get a terrace and little more space at a more reasonable price), but have wondered if the concierge and other services of a hotel could be better? We have never been to Europe and neither of us speaks Italian, but are fine dealing with stairs and a lack of elevator.

Also, we have been looking in the Campo di Fiore area, Navona and Spanish Steps. Would you recommend a particular area over another? We would like to be able to walk most places and like the idea of being close to markets/restaurants. We are more concerned with a charming place with character than we are with luxury/shopping.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

This is your decision on hotel or apartment. It depends on what you like...

I personally prefer apartments. I like to live like a local for the time I am in Italy. You do not need to speak italian but knowing the basics will help a little. If you stay in a hotel, you can pay as you like however in a italy you will have to pay the entire amount (besides the deposit you make to book the apartment) when you arrive. This means carrying quite a lot of cash. I have no problem with this as I have done it many times but it can be difficult for some people. Also...research the agency and try not to book directly with owners. If you have disputes with apartments, it can be very difficult in Italy. The one piece of advise I will give you when booking an apartment is be patient ...things do not happen in Italy at the pace they happen in the US. Italians do things slower. I have rented through Friendly Rentals many times and have had great results. I have come to know my contact well through the years and he is very accommodating .

A hotel can give you more info on the city, so if you choose an apartment do your research on the area and have an idea what is nearby, how far from sites you wish to visit, ect. Most hotels also give breakfasts which can help with a budget however overall IMO it is much less expensive to stay in an apartment.

I love the Piazza Navona area...very well situated to all of Rome. Many wonderful places to eat, music, good nightlife.

Hope this helps...ciao

Edited: 19 January 2014, 04:23
New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

If this is your first time to Rome and you will only spend 3 nights and 2 days, I suggest a hotel or B&B. Although many speak English it is so much easier to have someone to help with calling taxis and making reservations for you. Especially if you do not speak Italian. Just much less stress.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 04:46
Toronto
Level Contributor
941 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

While we generally use apartments, for such a short trip a hotel. You can also investigate staying in a convent if you want a different experience but english may be a challenge and no concierge assistance either.

4. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 16:38
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

I agree that for such a short visit a hotel is probably the way to go. It's really a personal decision but I would choose a hotel in this case.

Donna

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
67 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

Thanks, everyone. I am pretty torn - if the trip was even a day longer, I would mostly likely feel very confident about the benefits of an apartment. I am still leaning in that direction, as it seems to get a hotel that is even remotely comparable to these apartments will cost approx $400 a night (300+ euro).

Can anyone recommend a particular area? I am looking at the Campo area, Navona and also at an apartment near the Parliament building.

I am going to continue researching hotels as well. I just hate to pay $200-350 for a small hotel room with no view when I can get an apartment with a balcony for that amount!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
218 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

I'm in the same boat! I've been to Rome previously and have always stayed at The Hotel Stendhal which is on Via Del Tritone and close to the Spanish Steps and The Trevi Fountain. I love the area and we have found we can walk everywhere in Rome from this position. The hotel is quite expensive as we require two rooms, so for us it's around 500Euro per night so I've begun looking around for alternatives. My problem is the lack of information and reviews available on the many apartment rentals and also the number of people who seem to be very dissatisfied with their bookings.

8. Re: Rome for 3 nights...Apartment or Hotel? Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:17