We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting round Rome in a hurry

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Getting round Rome in a hurry

Hi, I will be in Rome in April and will be staying very near the Termini. I am going to book a pre-opening tour of the Sistine chapel so need to be at the Vatican for 7.15am.

Can you please advise me on the approximate price of a taxi and bus options. I have no idea how long it would take at that time of the day to get from one place to the other.

Many thanks, Raewyn

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting round Rome in a hurry

Tickets for bus/metro are the same and can be used for 90 minutes on any bus, and one metro ride that doesn't have to be within the 90 minutes. They cost E1.50. The bus from Termini takes around 20 minutes. The metro about the same length of time but walking is involved from the metro station to the ticket office/entrance.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 22:43
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,202 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting round Rome in a hurry

From Piazza dei Cinquecento (Termini) to the entrance of the Vatican Museums on Viale Vaticano is around 7 km or so, depending on which route is taken. The taxi fare would include the initial fee of 3 Euro, plus 1.1 Euro per km, or 8 Euro, assuming no significant traffic along the way (a reasonable assumption at 6:45 AM), for a total of about 11 Euro. ( For perspective, walking directly is more like 4.5 km.)

The fastest route by mass transit would be the metro.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 02:16
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting round Rome in a hurry

The bus/tram/metro ticket is good for 100 minutes (not 90 minutes) after validation.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting round Rome in a hurry

Thanks so much. Metro or bus it is. Your help is invaluable.

5. Re: Getting round Rome in a hurry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19