We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do with two days in Rome?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do with two days in Rome?

We've been there before and have seen a lot of the typical tourist sights: Vatican, Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, and the Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica.

We like anything to do with history, art, culture, cuisine.

This trip we have about 48 hours in Rome and are looking for suggestions as to how best use the time. Day 1 we'll be jet lagged so nothing too physically strenuous.

We'll be staying at the Hotel Lunetta in Piazza Navona area.

As well, any dining suggestions for good traditional food in an un-fancy atmosphere would be welcomed. Thanks!

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Fountains, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do with two days in Rome?

Consider the "Underground Rome Tour"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,061 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do with two days in Rome?

My guidebooks all have a lot more than those few sites; there are many -

You could consider www.palazzovalentini.it/scavi.php?lang=eng (site that opened just a bit over 3 years ago) - I loved this presentation of the underground site; it is multi-media with the walking on glass floors - very neat. Needs to be booked in advance.

I'd probably do what I always do when I go - wander without a plan and also check out current exhibits - which you can do at www.inromenow.com - each time takes me back to certain exhibition spaces and museums depending on what is on when I am there. If you have not yet seen the Ara Pacis - you may find that interesting - it is right by the Tiber. http://www.ara-pacis-museum.com

Explore some new neighborhoods - you don't have to have a plan if you don't want one. I can't imagine seeing Piazza Navona or the Pantheon more than a few times could ever be reason to not see them again - but, that's me. The Pantheon is the second place I head to each time I arrive.

I have found all the places I like through research - books, guidebooks, online research and many that I just came upon in my wanderings and decided to go inside (small Museo di Roma in Trastevere was something I just came across and now visit on each trip (usually has two exhibits on, one of which has always (well, for over 14 years) been a wonderful photography exhibit of all sorts of subjects. Often I am the only one of maybe 4 or 5 people.

I also, when visiting Villa Farnesina (guidebook will reveal the treasurers in there) in Trastevere, I kept walking down a side street and came upon the Botanical Gardens - anyway, just examples of how you can mooch around in Rome and find many unexpected things to enjoy. I still do the wandering days when there and I still find new favorites. Almost across the street from Farnesina (open limited hours) is the Corsini Gallery, well worth a visit. Have you been to the Borghese Gallery? Could be nice to visit and then spend some time in the park -

Have you visited any of the catacombs on the Appian Way? If not, that could be of great interest.

I'm sure others will pop in - with suggestions. Bottom line though for such a brief stopover, I would spend the time just enjoying the piazzas, fountains, the architecture, etc - you have a myriad of ways to spend this short time there and you could actually just decide to enjoy the city itself and not do museums or sites.

Have fun whatever you do….

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do with two days in Rome?

@momcat

Do you know the name of the side street that the botanical gardens is on by Villa Farnesina ? Or even the direction to walk from there?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,061 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do with two days in Rome?

It is on Via Corsini -

Exit Villa Farnesina onto Via della Lungara, cross over to the other side of the street, go left and in about a minute you reach Via Corsini and turn right - you will hit the gardens.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do with two days in Rome?

thanks a million momcat

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do with two days in Rome?

Great ideas, thank you!!

7. Re: What would you do with two days in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:18