We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Hi, in May, 2014 I will be arriving at Rome airport at around 9am and need to get to Roma Tiburtina to meet a train to take me to Arezzo.

What is the best way to make the journey from the aiport to Roma tiburtina?

thanks in advance

Marc

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,046 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Trains Fiumicino Aeroporto to Arezzo via Rome Termini and Rome Tiburtina www.trenitalia.com

Click on the UK flag for current train times, enter train departure time 09

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

From FCO airport, you can take the Leonardo Express to Termini or the FL1 suburban line to Tiburtina. You can buy tickets from FCO all the way to Arezzo at the train station at FCO.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Trains from Fiumicino Aeroporto to Roma Tiburtina run every 15 minutes.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 11:09
Orange County, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Help! I have a question on the Train from Fiumicino Aeroporto to Roma Tiburtina. I attempted to purchase two tickets on trenitalia.com leaving FC Aeroporto to Tiburtina for Sunday 4/20/14 @ 11am. Everything goes well until it asked me to LOG-IN or Register. I started to Register and it asks for address in Italy? Being from the US, of course I don't have one. From there it wont let me continue registering? Is there another way for one to purchase tickets without an Italy address? or, am I doing something wrong? seems kind of strange. Thank you for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

There is absolutely no point trying to buy these tickets in advance over the Internet. The trains have no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts. Just buy at FCO. Before you get onto the train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station.

At present, the Trenitalia web site has a "feature" that users have to be registered to buy any journey on or involving local (Regionale) trains.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 08:43
SG
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Hi All,

I have a similar qn...

I will be flying into Rome and then head straight to Venice. I understand we can take the Regionale 22029 train from Fiumicino Aeroporto to Roma Tiburtina then change to Frecciargento train taking us to Venice SL.

I only have about 10 mins between arrival at Roma Tiburtina and the departure of the Frecciargento train.

Is there sufficient time to switch platforms?

Is it easy to find our way around the station?

Are trains very punctual?

Thanks All!!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

This is a tight connection, even though Tiburtina Station is not as large as Roma Termini. If the airport train from FCO to Tiburtina is running on time, you will make the connection. If you MISS the connection, you will be permitted to change your seat reservation to the Frecciargento train departing later in the day (usually one hour later) without penalty or surchange, AS LONG AS you are travelling on a "BASE" fare ticket. By contrast, if you are travelling on a discounted ticket (e.g. ECONOMY or SUPER ECONOMY fare for the reserved train), you must have an official 15-minute connection in order to be "protected" on a later-departing Frecciargento train to Venice. Otherwise, you FORFEIT the Frecciargento ticket for MISSING your reserved train. Consequently, a 10-minute connection is insufficient to give you "protection" to a later Frecciargento train IF you are travelling on a DISCOUNTED ticket and not the "BASE" fare ticket. Make sure you're using a "BASE" fare ticket on the Frecciargento train, and you'll be fine even if you MISS your reserved train by NO MORE than ONE HOUR (this is the "grace period").

SG
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Oh I would try to increase the buffer to more than 20 mins...

By the way, these train tickets, is there a need to buy early online, or is it readily available at the train station?

thanks GAC!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,716 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

There's no reason to purchase the regional train tickets (FCO to Tiburtina) in advance. While you can get great savings purchasing the Rome to Venice segment in advance, these savings come with restrictions. If you miss the train you can't use the ticket on another train, nor exchange it or get a refund, so you're betting that your flight arrives on time and everything else works perfectly. If you're wrong, you're out the cost you paid for the ticket PLUS a full fare last minute ticket.

SG
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Rome Airport to Roma Tiburtina

Thanks elstravels!