We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning a day at the Vatican

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help with planning a day at the Vatican

For some reason I am having the hardest time planning this day. I'm going to blame it on trip information overload since I'm leaving for Rome next Sunday. Me and my mother want to see the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel...will the Vatican entrance ticket cover this? Also should I pre book these tickets or would we be ok with buying them the day of? We really don't have a cement schedule for next week and kind of want to move at our own pace. We were also thinking of visiting on Wednesday or Thursday.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning a day at the Vatican

This can be hit or miss. I walked over to the Vatican Museum entrance in October, there was absolutely NO line up. I bought the ticket, (E16) and followed the tour. You can see as much of the museum as you want (until overload kicks in) then go to the Sistine Chapel (no extra charge). I took that secret door for tours only and went into St Peter's. Later went up the cupola to the very top. Total time....4 hours. I had seen all I wanted to by then. By the way the hotel desk tried to sell me a tour for E62.00. Had there been a line up, I'd have tried again the next day.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning a day at the Vatican

It's hit or miss this time of year, especially in the morning. If you don't mind going in the afternoon there is usually little to no line. The Vatican museums and Sistine chapel require a single ticket.

Don't count on using the tour door unless you actually take a door. The guards are pretty good about checking for tickets before letting you through, though sometimes people do sneak in when they shouldn't.

I would suggest Thursday over Wednesday because the museums tend to get crowded after the papal audiences.

Donna

3. Re: Help with planning a day at the Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:17