We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Carnival ?

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Topic
Roman Carnival ?

I enjoy Carnival celebrations around the world, and recently had the pleasure taking in the festivities in Venice and Verona. It had been my impression that the Carnevale in the capital ended in the 19th century. Yesterday, however, I came across this site:

…roma.it/Menu-secondario/Roman-Carnival

It seems that the revival was started in 2009, and continued through last year, albeit with some cancelled events. However, given the lack of information for 2014, it would appear that the project did not meet with the success the organizers had hoped for?

Whether this is the case or not, I'd appreciate any insights or links about the topic anybody would be kind enough to share.

Gratias Tibi!

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman Carnival ?

According to the article (…excite.it/carnevale-di-roma-2014-tutti-gli-…), this year's "revived" Carnival will take place from 22 February to 4 March and there will be some unspecified kind of celebration in both piazza Navona and piazza del Popolo.

Truth to be told, Carnival here is not something to write home about (and most of us locals don't even notice it). Don't expect anything even remotely close to the ones taking place in Venice or Viareggio...

Edited: 27 January 2014, 18:44
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman Carnival ?

Btw if you didn't go to Viareggio carnival go! :)

Level Contributor
1,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman Carnival ?

Btw if you didn't go to Viareggio carnival go! :) you also can enjoy the carnival in Ivrea, close to turin, with the big Battle of Oranges.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman Carnival ?

Thanks everybody.

Just so you know this was just out of curiosity. Much as I love Italy, I won't be going back in the short term; this year it will be New Orleans. But Viarreggio is definitely on my radar for future carnival visits. I have also heard good things about Acireale's celebration.

5. Re: Roman Carnival ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:18