We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - Rome or Alternate plan for Easter?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - Rome or Alternate plan for Easter?

Looking for itinerary suggestions... My husband and I fly into Rome, will be there 3 days,then I've got a rental home inTuscany hill town area for 7 days. I leave there the Saturday before Easter. Then I have 3 days (4 if you count the fly home day) till I fly home from the Rome airport. I wonder if i should spend those last days in Rome, given that it's Easter Sunday and Monday and will be madly crowded? Would I be better to stay in the Tuscany region and travel to Rome airport on the day I fly out? (I fly out around 13:00). If I stay in Rome, any suggestions of which part of the city, or what to expect in terms of whats open etc?

The day I fly out is not a holiday, being the Tuesday after Easter. I will have a car in Tuscany but not in Rome.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - Rome or Alternate plan for Easter?

Rome is somewhat busy at Easter, but not nearly so much so as in high summer. Most of the crowds will be at the Vatican, so the rest of Rome will be fairly normal. On Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, the Vatican Museums are closed, and they may close early on the Saturday as well, so I wouldn't think of going there. On Easter Sunday, there will be a huge Easter Mass in St. Peter's Square, so there would be no access to Saint Peter's Basilica during that time, and for some time before and after. You could visit the Basilica, if you like, on Easter Monday.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - Rome or Alternate plan for Easter?

"[...] I wonder if i should spend those last days in Rome, given that it's Easter Sunday and Monday and will be madly crowded? [...]"

Contrary to other places (like the Vatican), Easter is a rather low-key thing in Rome... if it weren't for the holidays, and the fact that public buildings close down during that period, we Romans wouldn't even notice it. :-)

Edited: 31 January 2014, 18:26
Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - Rome or Alternate plan for Easter?

Hello everyone,

We want to visit Rome at Easter, to make use of our 4 days off including bank holidays from work.

I have just read suejohnw post and and replies and now I am worried that everything will be closed over Easter. I have noted which building are infact closed and so my question is - is it worth visiting Rome at Easter.

We plan to arrive Saturday 19 April and return Tuesday 22April with a late departure flight from Rome.

Please forgive me if this sounds a daft question, first timers in Rome... Many thanks.

4. Re: Itinerary - Rome or Alternate plan for Easter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:20