We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40 plus trips - What Have I Missed?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
40 plus trips - What Have I Missed?

I have been going to Rome almost every year of my life. The last 8 or so trips with my wife and kids. My family has an apartment in the city center. We have seen all of the major tourist areas many times and done a decent job of reading and finding new things each trip. Please share areas or places off the beaten path that I would probably not have read about or been told to visit. We are open to pretty much anything. We prefer to walk but are more than capable of using public transportation too. We do not get a car. 2 weeks in July. Kids are 12 and 14 and well traveled. Thanks!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 40 plus trips - What Have I Missed?

Glad our suggestions helped. We just find more and more to do in this amazing city. Always wonderful to explore Testaccio (recently climbed Big Bambu at MACRO Testaccio and loved it -- your kids might really enjoy it), and our "to do" list keeps growing .... I second the Foro Italico, it's kind of fascinating, as is EUR and exploring the Facsist-era architecture. I'm also very partial to WWII related sites.

We also will be retiring to Rome for at least a good chunk of the year. Wonder if your stories of having a home in Rome are similar to ours. The remodeling was a two-year comedy of errors, but our ultimate funny Rome story was when I overpaid (yes, OVERPAID) the electric bill -- so they turned off the electricity and then wanted me to pay for a guy to turn it back on. But Rome always manages to work its magic on me, and call me back over and over.

san diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 40 plus trips - What Have I Missed?

There is a fabulous archeology museum in Palestrina that hold artifacts from 2 BC and few people know its there. The huge wall mosaic of the Nile is worth the short trip from Rome.

Nemi, a small village on hillside nearby is quaint with sausage shops and their famous mini strawberries. Each sweet shop sells their own pastry filled with custard and strawberries. In ancient Roman times, nobles would vacation here to get away from the politics and heat in Rome.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 40 plus trips - What Have I Missed?

Why not spend some time in Florence? It's just 90 minutes away via train. :)

14. Re: 40 plus trips - What Have I Missed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:20