We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks in Europe

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Three weeks in Europe

Hi All,

My Wife and I are planning a trip to Europe in May for three weeks. So far we have:

- 3 days in Rome

- 4 days at the Amalfi Coast

- 2 days in Belgium

- 3 days in Germany

We actually have 16 days to travel around Europe after we remove flight time from home and back( Australia) so we can either add some other places in or extend time in on of these countries.

We are also considering hiring a car in Rome and then driving around Europe - just wondering if this is possible or is it too far? And are there hidden costs when hiring a car in one country and dropping off in another?

I know there are a lot of questions here, and May isn't too far away but unfortunately we are still very early into our planning and were hoping to get some suggestions for an itinerary here.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 11:22
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three weeks in Europe

If you pick up a rental car in one country and drop off in another, there will be a very substantial one-way fee. Somebody has to drive the car back to the pick up country at your expense.

It is 1700 km from Amalfi to Brussels. The journey by car would take at least 19 hours of driving (plus stops) at a cost of €98 in tolls and about €450 in fuel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three weeks in Europe

The Amalfi Coast is very pretty but not particularly driveable with a sheer drop on one side and a cliff on the other. It is knuckle biting even in a professional coach. I would also personally not give more time to Amalfi than to Rome, but that is your choice.

Have you considered doing most of this by plane. You need a car in the country for sightseeing, but not for visiting cities. And distances are similar to Melbourne to Brisbane. Not a quick trip.

And get moving, we have booked months ago for accommodation for April onwards.

It is a weird collection of places from a practical viewpoint. Maybe collect a few places closer together, and never less than 3 nights per stop.

Level Contributor
1,290 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three weeks in Europe

Choose carefully where to land and where to leave. If you begin ib rome your itinerary is nice: you go south to amalfi then up again to northern italy. Maybe you can stop in Austria before going to Germany and from there to Belgium and Netherlands. If you choose a flight from there the itinerary can be nice if planned carefully. I would avoid the car.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three weeks in Europe

I wouldn't take a long and expensive trip to either Belgium or Germany just to stay there two days; if by two days, you mean two nights, that's even worse.

To have a decent amount of time in Rome I would suggest a minimum of four nights; otherwise, you'll just be trudging along with an immense crowd from one "must-see" to another, with no time to experience the city itself. Four nights in the Amalfi Coast would give you time for a few day trips; I don't see any problem with that.

It's best to think of the time in a city in terms of the number of nights you spend there. The number of full days is one less than the number of nights. You would also have some time on the day of arrival, but after a trip (which is almost always a bit of a hassle even if it's short and all goes well) you may not have the time or energy to do much other than get oriented to a new hotel and a new neighborhood.

Unless you're a group of three or more, trains are almost always both faster and cheaper for getting around than a car is. If you want to visit some rural areas, you might want to hire a car locally for a few days.

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
433 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three weeks in Europe

I am not a big fan of going from one city to the other day after day with little time in between. First of all, it's exhausting and second of all, you don't get to really experience the city you are visiting. Add in the cost and time to get from one place to another and forget it. You haven't really had a vacation!

Pick three or four places that you want to see and then see them!

6. Re: Three weeks in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 07:18