We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

Hi, Rome is one of our cruise ship stops - what we're looking for is a more "personalized" segway tour. It seems most of them just cruise by the places we want to see - but we want to be able to stop when we want, and even go inside at the Vatican Museum (the Sistine Chapel is on my bucket list). Does anyone know if any of the segway companies will allow this? I just thought I would ask before I start bombarding them all with emails....

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,005 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

I doubt it - just reaching the Sistine Chapel from the entry of Vatican Museums will take quite a long time -

I suppose you could find out if you can do a one to one situation; have the guide be just someone for you without the usual group; but, if you do that, I would expect to pay quite a steep amount for such a private tour.

No harm in asking if they don't offer private tours on their websites.

Is there a reason for this to be done by Segway?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

It's about a 20-30 minute "bee line" walk (depending on the crowds) thru the Museums to the Sistine Chapel. If the Chapel is on your bucket list then I would pre-book your tickets to skip the line. Here's a link regarding this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187793-i1891-k716…

I don't think a Segway Tour Company will wait 1.5 hrs for you to enter and exit the Museums.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,717 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

They would have to pay someone to guard the Segway while you were in the museum, so it would be very expensive.

If you want to visit the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, you really don't have time to visit much else, because it eats up an enormous amount of time. You might as well just take a taxi to the Museums, and another taxi to one other place you want to see when you are finished. You should also reserve the museum entrance ahead of time to avoid a very long ticket queue; this is a little tricky, because you can't be sure of the time you'll arrive.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

If you have difficulty walking, and if you have a companion who can push it, I suggest you reserve a wheelchair:

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Servizi.html

Finally, there are golf cart tours of Rome for people with mobility programs:

http://www.drivinguide.com/disabled.htm

They have a 6-hour tour especially for people visiting Rome on a cruise day. They'll tailor the tour to what you want to see. It might be better to get a four-hour tour instead, see everything else first and then ask them to leave you at the Vatican Museums at the end of the four hours; otherwise at least two of your six hours will be taken up with the museums, and you'll be paying for six hours but getting four hours. However, with the six-hour tour, they'll pick you up and drop you off at the cruise ship transfer meeting point.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

Thanks for the info everyone - the reason I thought the segways might be a good idea is because we will have our 12yo son with us, it would add an element of "fun" for him.

Where can I get more info on the 6 hour private tours that are tailored to what we want to see? Maybe that would be a better idea for us. We don't want to do the whole Vatican thing on this trip, but it's my understanding that we have to actually go thru the museum to get to the Sistine Chapel? If we save that until the end of the day and don't end up having time for it, then whatever, but just in case I never get back to Rome, I would really like to see it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,005 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

Yes, you do have to go through the museum to reach the chapel.

You don't need a tour for just six hours - I'd just walk through the center - you can go at least to see the outside of the Colosseum, etc - then the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de' Fiori, Spanish Steps, etc - Do look at a map - you will that many of the popular sites that most people want to at least see, even if just for a short while (given your brief hours there) are not far from each other.

You could go to St. Peter's - it is free, you just need to go through the security line; you could climb to the top - your son might like that.

Visiting some of the piazzas and iconic sites, having a bite to eat is pretty much all you have time for - do go into the Pantheon - it is extraordinary and your son might also like to see the oculus - and, if a bit of rain were to fall, a real treat to watch it fall through the oculus.

Choose your priorities and head to them - you have scant time to do anything in depth.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,717 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

I think maybe you were referring to the six-hour golf cart tour I mentioned above. You can see it by clicking on "Tours" on the page I gave a link for above. However, you probably have no need of the golf cart tour. I thought you were perhaps looking for a Segway to avoid walking.

Momcat has some good advice for a self-guided tour. If you really want a guide, I'm sure you could find a private guide who would arrange something to your taste. I've used this excellent guide:

www.rome-tours.com

who is especially good for the ancient Roman sites. She will tailor her tours to your interests, and is very good at bringing things to life. He minimum time is three hours; you could engage her for four hours and have her leave you near the Vatican Museums, or at the metro or bus stop. (There's no fear of missing your stop, because half the bus or metro car empties out there.) I don't believe she provides her own transportation.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,882 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

My son was 12 the first time he visited Rome, and he loved it. I don't think he was ever bored of the piazzas, the Pantheon, the Colosseum, gelato, pizza, the Spanish Steps, and just wandering through the Roman streets.

At the Vatican museum, we let the kids sort of take the lead. That way they can find what interests them, and find enjoyment, instead of boredom and suffering, in a museum. Mine were fighting over the camera in the room with all the marble animals...Sala degli Animali.

I don't think you'll need to add a Segway to the mix to make the day enjoyable for your son.

8. Re: Looking For a Private Segway Hire That Allows Museum Stops?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 05:18