We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
P B
Los Angeles...
11 posts
Save Topic
Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

I am planning on taking the train from Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day, 2014. Do the trains routinely run on Christmas Day in Italy? Does anyone know about this route in particular? I have not been able to get train schedules this far out from any websites, but want to schedule my hotels very soon. How about New Year's Day? Thank you!

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

"[...] Do the trains routinely run on Christmas Day in Italy?"

Yes - trains here run on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve too.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 15:58
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

Most of the trains between Rome and Assisi are unreserved regionale trains: no seat reservations and no reason to purchase ticket in advance.

P B
Los Angeles...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

Thank you! Do you know of any way to get a schedule soon?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

Just use the current schedules as a guide. Schedules will change in mid-December, but won't deviate substantially from the current ones.

P B
Los Angeles...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

Great, thank you!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

On Christmas Day, the schedule will be reduced, and the current schedule won't help much. The closest thing you can find is a Sunday schedule. There is always a schedule change in early December, and, unfortunately, the regional train schedules are the last to be posted. You may not be able to see a definitive schedule until mid-December. This year, even after the schedule on that line was finally posted, it still had some changes made. These were trains added, not taken away. There is always a big fight between the railroad, which wants to cut service, and the local communities, which want to preserve trains. These battles affect only the regional trains, because the fast trains stop only in larger cities.

With the present Sunday schedule, there is a direct train that would get you to Assisi in the morning, leaving Rome at 7:58 and arriving in Assisi at 10:07. Most of the other trains, including all the "fast" trains require a change in Foligno, which more than eats up all the time you might have saved getting to Foligno. No other trains would get you there in the morning. There is a direct train back to Rome at 6:17 PM. There are a few earlier trains that require a change of train.

I was once in Assisi just after Christmas, and it had a very festive air, in line with its great spiritual significance. St. Francis is reputed to have made the first Christmas nativity scene, and there is a very nice outdoor one near the Basilica of Saint Francis.

There is always a big Christmas concert broadcast by Italian public television from Assisi on Christmas Day. I don't know if they sell tickets to this concert, but they do sell tickets to many of their other concerts. Their web page only has tickets up through May right now. You can check later on this site:

http://www.bigliettionline.rai.it/

The concert begins around noon, or at least that's when it's broadcast. I don't know if it takes place earlier.

7. Re: Rome to Assisi on Christmas Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:20