We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for rental car?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best location for rental car?

We're staying in Rome for a few days and will be renting a car on Sunday morning before leaving Rome to explore Tuscany. I currently have a rental booked through AutoEurope from the Termini station. We're staying on Via della Vetrona near Piazza Navona. I'm wondering if there is a rental car place that would be within walking distance from our apartment that is open on Sunday. If so, are we better off picking up our rental there or leaving from Termini for the ease of getting out of the city as this will be our first time driving in Italy. I assume a cab from Navona to Termini would not be terribly costly?

Thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for rental car?

I like using the Termini location for its ease in exiting the city using via Tiburtina to the A1 Hiway. The Termini location has expanded hours, large selection of cars and is well away from the ZTL's. I take a cab to the Termini.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 21:15
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location for rental car?

Thank you, fatjack1! That's what I suspected but it's nice to receive confirmation from someone with experience there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location for rental car?

Apart from Termini, the only other Rome rental offices likely to be open on a Sunday would be at the airports.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
615 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location for rental car?

I usually use the Sixt car rental under Villa Borghese, but they are closed Sundays, so occasionally I use a rental out of Termini. Here are some helpful directions which I have used to drive out of Rome from Termini -- slowtrav.com/italy/driving/car_rental_locati…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
168 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location for rental car?

We like to rent out of Termini for the same reasons fatjack notes. We did once rent from the airport when we arrived, but parking in Rome was ridiculously difficult. If we stay in Rome now, we don't rent until we're ready to travel elsewhere.

6. Re: Best location for rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:18