We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to avoid

Hants
Level Contributor
150 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Places to avoid

Finally booked our first ever trip for end of February and are VERY excited!

As with all cities I know there are places to avoid and with the intricate streets looking like a rabbit warren I'm concerned about getting lost and ending up somewhere I don't want to. I've read the odd thing about avoiding Termini at night (not something I planned on anyway), but are there any other undesirable places to avoid?

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to avoid

"[...] I've read the odd thing about avoiding Termini at night (not something I planned on anyway), but are there any other undesirable places to avoid?"

Actually, the area around Termini isn't that dangerous at night. Sure - that district isn't as aesthetically-pleasing as other parts of Rome and you may come across a few hobos here and there... but that's pretty much it. I dare say it's rather safe, after all (I work nearby and I've never had what I'd call a "suspicious" encounter!).

As for the rest of the city centre, that's perfectly safe - just like the rest of the city. The only (few) parts of town I wouldn't want to go at night are all located far out in the outskirts, so it's extremely unlikely you'll ever come across them. But even then, they aren't anything like the ghettoes you might find in certain cities overseas.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,207 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to avoid

Rome is a very safe city, even the termini area. The termini gets a bad reputation because it's not as charming as other parts of the city but it's a safe area. There is no violent crime to speak of in Rome. As in any other city you need to be aware of pickpockets.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
North York Moors...
Level Contributor
295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to avoid

We stayed in the Termini area on our last visit to Rome,and found it perfectly safe. We certainly never felt threatened. I think,as Quirite and dbabe point out,that Termini has a somewhat undeserved reputation.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to avoid

Ok you can be unlucky any were in the world.

Generally if you gut says no it is not often wrong.

If somebody says to me don't go some place I always go because he or she is telling you of there experience.

You on the other hand should go & have your own experience.

Ok it helps if you are a male, 6 foot tall & weigh 14 stone but you cannot always put that in the bank.

My advice is dress down, do not wear any flashy or designer anything, remove your watch, put your mobile phone & camera away. Only carry £20.00 give or take, have zips put on your trouser pockets & use them & try not to stand out from the crowd, be conscious of your own space & the space of your partner. When you take money out of your pocket do it discreetly do not advertise what you are doing. Just be alert & use your common sense hey its not rocket science.

By doing these simple things you make yourself less of a target its defiantly worked for me many times.

I have walked though Harlem in New York. Cape Town at night. been to India 6 times in many back streets at all times of the day & night. New Year in old Saigon in Vietnam & still in one piece.

Travel is a state of mind eg if you think you can, YOU CAN if you think you cannot them YOU CANNOT.

Your call. me I just do it.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to avoid

Go wherever you like, no problem. Don't avoid Trastevere. It has a lot of small streets and you can get lost there, but that's part of the charm. It's full of great shops, cafes, restaurants, and sites such as Santa Maria in Trastevere.

Mentioned in this post
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,153 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Santa Maria in Trastevere
Santa Maria in Trastevere
3,802 Reviews
Rome, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to avoid

Frankly, getting lost is one of the best things that happens to me when in Rome (though sadly happens less often now that I know the city better) because I have come across unexpected wonderful things when I've gotten turned around and really, the city is not so huge that once you get a bit turned around, it is easy to maneuver your way to where you want to go.

Enjoy those "lost" moments - and keep your eyes open - you may stumble upon some really surprising/delightful things.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to avoid

I have been to Termini itslef and the area around it as late as 10 pm with no problems.

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to avoid

Couldn't agree more Momcat. We spent a delightful morning getting lost,turned a corner,and found we had stumbled upon the Campo D'Fiori. A wonderful highlight to our holiday. And within a couple of days we had the layout of the city pretty much worked out,it's surprisingly easy to navigate.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to avoid

"I have walked though Harlem in New York"

My daughter lives in Harlem and it is nothing like the people think it should be like. Maybe decades ago it was like that. My daughter's street in Harlem has been used in several movies and scenes in Broadwalk Empire (with Chalky White). There are trees and beautiful 1920s brick brownstones with small landscaped front yards outlined by iron fences and gates. There are plenty of nice places to eat out also, and not everyone is black.

Alexander Hamilton's family home is around the corner from her apt. And it is nicely landscaped and restored.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 16:11
Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
North York Moors...
Level Contributor
295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to avoid

'Not everyone is black????!' Would it matter if they were??!