We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Hello. We will be arriving in Rome at 7am on the 20th of March (12am our time) and will boarding a train to Florence on the 22nd. I have been searching and searching what would be the best thing to do to make the most of our stay. I figured a guided tour but my goodness just for the two of us is anywhere from 400 to 600 US $ and we still have two more wonderful cities to see. We are also sating at the Holiday Inn Pisana which is really out of the way ( didn't realize it until we booked the trip) I am thinking we will be very tired upon arriving from traveling and thought of getting in a quick nap early morning and doing something in the evening of the 20th. We then have a full day the next day but that really is all. Any advice or help would be so greatly appreciated. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us. We are excited but I'm a little overwhelmed at what to do. Thank you.

I really would like to see the historical aspects and my mother loves all the shopping, eating, show etc. Again thank you.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

You already know that you'll be about five miles from the historic center of Rome, so advance planning is even more critical to make the most of your time.

If you land at 7 AM you probably won't be leaving the airport with your luggage until at least 8. The ride from the airport should take about a half hour. If you're very, very lucky you'll be able to get into your room upon arrival. It's more likely, however, that the hotel will store your luggage for you and your room won't be available until the afternoon. Therefore, you might think about what you'd like to do to fill four or five hours until your room is ready.

Do you know if the hotel runs a shuttle into town? If not, you might want to budget for taxis. There is a bus stop practically right in front of your hotel, PISANA/LONGHENA. From here you can get the #881 bus into town: viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,241 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

You could use the HoHo bus or self walking tour www.rometoolkit.com

www.rome.info

Edited: 02 February 2014, 03:51
San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Oh my I hadn't even thought of the room not being ready! I just figured we'd get in and take a nap first. Thank you. I believe the hotel does have a shuttle. Thank you very much. I think we're going to be some pretty tired puppies :)

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,099 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

If you read some of the hotel reviews there is some explanation of getting into Rome by public transport.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d1485…

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Grab a guide book or two and really go over them with your mom. With such little time you'll need to prioritize exactly what you want to see and do. You may need to make some tough choices as you won't be able to see a lot in a single day.

Also, as far as going to the hotel and taking a nap (if the room is ready) I would try to avoid it. Stay outside as much as you can that first day to help with the jet lag. Try adjusting your sleep schedule the week before you leave for Italy by getting up/going to bed earlier.

Donna

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Thank you. We will try and do that. Would you suggest going to the sistine chapel on the day we arrive and then the coliseum and shopping/walking the next day? Of course we look forward to the great food we hear about too.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Just the opposite - I would do the outdoor things (Colosseum, walking and shopping) on arrival day as being outdoors in the sun will help you adjust to the time change faster. An indoor museum would be deadly for me when tired.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

on 20th when arriving in Rome you could visit the vatican, trevi fountain-can have a a lot of tourist as we found-but very spectacular, also Piazza navona - has lots of restaurants & little unique shops-watch out for the annoying people trying to sell you junk. i didn't do the hop on hop off bus but as you have a short time i think this is the best so you can see the most in a short time. we went on to Florence by train ….and we plan to go back to Florence next year. very easy to walk around and great sights to see like the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, Statue of David….just walk and everything will be amazing. Enjoy

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Do not spend your arrival day inside the Vatican museums or St. Peters. You'll be extremely jet lagged and being inside just makes it worse. Stay outside visiting the open air sites like the trevi fountain, colosseum and forum. On your next day you can visit some of the indoor sites, after you've gotten some rest.

The HO/HO buses in Rome don't really have that great of reputations. They are not the best way to see the city as they don't get close to many sites. Just walk and enjoy the city for the short time you have. You'll need to come back to visit all the wonderful sites you don't have time for on this trip.

donna

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother daughter trip for one day need advice

Thank you all so much for your advice. I am excited and want to plan something my mother will enjoy. We will be spending 5 days in Venice and was looking at what to do while we are there also.