We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day In Rome from Cruise Ship Suggest Itininerary

Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
One Day In Rome from Cruise Ship Suggest Itininerary

Will be spending about 6 hours in Rome from cruise ship. This is my second time in Rome and I don't need to do all major attractions but would rather visit some nice neighborhoods for atmosphere and perhaps a little reasonable shopping if something catches the eye. Any suggestions?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day In Rome from Cruise Ship Suggest Itininerary

My wife likes to walk along Via Del Corso, turning up the side streets in and around the Trevi Fountain with lunch near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 21:00
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day In Rome from Cruise Ship Suggest Itininerary

I like Via del Corso, but I prefer the part north of Piazza di Spagna, where it becomes a pedestrianized street, and where there are lots of small shops. While you're in the area, there are a number of other things you could do. The Ara Pacis, not far away, is the ancient Altar of Peace, constructed by the Emperor Augustus to celebrate the Pax Romana. It's in a modern building designed by Richard Meier; many people hate it, but I think it's a successful solution to a tricky problem, because the altar was exposed to the elements before. There are usually temporary art exhibits in the building; I saw a great Chagall exhibit there once.

Via del Corso ends at Piazza del Popolo, one of the most imposing piazzas in Rome. There, you could visit the church of Santa Maria del Popolo, which has more great works of art than many museums. There is also a Leonardo da Vinci museum in the piazza, which has working models of many of his inventions. Finally, there are stairs near this museum which take you up to the gardens of the Villa Borghese. From the top, there are spectacular views of the city.

To get to the upper part of Via del Corso, you could take the metro A (direction Battistini) from Termini station to the Flaminia stop. Piazza del Popolo is just inside the big arch. First you could see the things in and around Piazza del Popolo, then you could head south on Via del Corso, the center of three streets leading out of the end of the piazza opposite the arch. It would be worth taking one of the streets to your left to see Via Margutta, one of the prettiest streets in Rome. Via del Babuino, which you cross to get to Via Margutta leads to Piazza di Spagna, and the Spanish Steps.

Another option would be to take the train to Termini station and walk around the Monti neighborhood. My favorite walking route from Termini station to the Roman Forum passes through this neighborhood, along Via Urbana, which bends to the right and becomes Via Leonina. I've never done any shopping there, but I've heard that there are some little design shops in the neighborhood. You could then perhaps visit Trajan's Market, across the road from the Roman Forum, and often overlooked by tourists. From inside Trajan's Market, you can access the Via Biberatica, a very well-preserved ancient Roman street, with ancient shops on both sides, and paved with the original Roman paving blocks. The upper stories are mostly medieval and modern.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 12:44
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day In Rome from Cruise Ship Suggest Itininerary

Thanks for your responses. Great detailed info. Can't wait to walk through these streets!

4. Re: One Day In Rome from Cruise Ship Suggest Itininerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19