We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using public transport from the prati area

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
using public transport from the prati area

Thinking of staying in the prati area near the Vatican as hopefully cheaper and quieter. However concerned about using public transport, metro and buses. How frequently do buses and trains run?

Will they be very busy, one poster said there was a high risk of pickpockets on crowded transport. Does anyone have any experience of staying in this area and how did you find travelling to the main sights in the historic centre|?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: using public transport from the prati area

Prati is a relatively large area, with several different places to catch buses. Make sure you check the address and verify exactly where the bus or metro stops are in realation to the accomodation.

Yes, the buses are very crowded and you do have to be aware of your belongings, as pick pockets are a reality. If you are careful nothing will happen to you.

Prati is a great area, away from the tourist crush and great dining options.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using public transport from the prati area

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=2

This link will show you all the bus routes in Rome. Regarding pickpockets, leave everything you can't afford to lose in your hotel safe. Anything else you carry, put it in an inside zipper pocket. Watch out for situations where both hands are in the air, hanging on for dear life to the bus straps, as the bus rushes along the streets.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 00:33
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using public transport from the prati area

Buses run at least every 30 min. Some lines like Tram 8 in Trastevere runs every 15 min.

I travel on Rome buses, trams and subways frequently. Yes, public transport sometimes is very crowded, and it seems unpredictable. I travel with all my cash and credit cards in a money belt under my clothes. on a crowded bus there is no way to move away from a pickpocket. I keep my passport at the apt and travel with a copy in my money belt when on public transport.

4. Re: using public transport from the prati area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 07:18