We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

Hi , we will be finishing our cruise in Venice and have 3 days before flying back home.

We have been reading reviews and most readers find Milan very expensive..

We can travel via Rome or via Milan...but would appreciate any feedback on your thoughts.

With thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

I don't think you will find much difference in prices between Rome and Milan, but it may depend on what you want to buy. I don't think there are many bargain prices in Italy.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

Summer sales will begin on July the 5th in Rome and approx the same date in Milan, not fixed yet.

I prefer Rome over Milan or stay a few days in Venice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

Hi, prices won't be much different between the 2 cities but as Tabata says the sales start the first Saturday of July so you're arriving at the right time for a bargain.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

I'd choose Milan because it's flatter and easier to walk around.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

Thanks all for your responses :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

Milan is the capital of fashion, so if you are interested in shopping, the best choice is Milan. Moreover it is less hot than Rome (even if may be REALLY hot in July) and the Milanese people are (this is strictly my opinion, hoper I am not hurting anybody) MUCH MORE HONEST with tourist than the romans ;) sad but true

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,369 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

Pricing-wise, for the same brand of stuff, there should be no difference.

While shopping, do make sure you get your VAT refund paperwork at participating locations. When using a credit card, don't let them charge you in your home currency (AUD in your case) as this Dynamic Currency Conversion practice is a rip-off using poor exchange rates so insist on paying in Euros. Research ahead as to how to process your tax refund paperwork at the EU port-of-exit, and get to the airport early early to queue.

8. Re: Rome or Milan for shopping in July ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:20