We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

We have had a slight change in our plans for our trip to Italy in May. We are arriving at FCO at 06:25 on Sunday, May 4th. But, we now need to get to Roma Termini hop on a train to Venice to catch up with another couple in Venice later that day. We do realize that it will be a long travel day with adding on a 3h45m train ride, but we will deal with it. But, I have two questions.

1. It seems like the Leonardo Express may be the fastest & least expensive option for four of us to get to Termini. But, I am concerned how crowded the train may be and even if we could get onboard. Any advice or experience with this?

2. All of us will be travelling with carry-on luggage only, so we will be getting through FCO as quickly as possible. But, we are not sure exactly which train to Venice we will be able to make departing from Termini. Does it make sense to purchase the tickets in advance or wait until we get to Roma Termini? If I buy in advance and we miss that train, how difficult is it to have them re-issued for a later train?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

The only purpose of purchasing tickets in advance is to save money - but those reduced fares are very difficult or impossible to reuse if you miss the train. When you are purchasing tickets for a trip when you have so little control over your timing, I think it's smarter to wait and purchase on the spot. It's extremely rare for a train to sell out and, even if one does, there's another train an hour later.

The Leonardo Express isn't the least expensive option to Termini, the bus is. However, the bus takes longer and since you'll be transitioning to another train anyway I'd go ahead and use the dreaded LE. (I say dreaded because my experiences with that train have been universally awful, but I'm told that service has improved in recent years.)

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

Regarding your arrival time, even with only carry on luggage you'll probably not be at the airport train station before 7:30. There are a number of delay points along the way, from your arrival gate (many flights arrive on the tarmac at FCO and you need to take a bus to the terminal), to Passport Control (often understaffed early in the morning, perhaps even more so on a Sunday), and the walk from that point through the terminal, past customs, and over to the airport train station.

Best case is you catch the 7:38 LE arriving at Termini at 8:10, allowing you to connect to the 8:50 train to Venice arriving at 12:35. I'd go ahead and purchase the tickets all the way through to Venice at the airport train station.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

Thank you so much for the replies. This will help considerably.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

QUESTION:

"Does it make sense to purchase the tickets in advance or wait until we get to Roma Termini? If I buy in advance and we miss that train, how difficult is it to have them re-issued for a later train?"

DANGER DANGER DANGER!!!

If you purchase your ticket in advance, and MISS your reserved train to Venice owing to a late plane arrival, here are the rules for re-booking:

IF you purchased a "BASE" fare ticket (full undiscounted fare: 80 Euros), and MISS your reserved train, you have a ONE HOUR grace period to re-book, free of charge, to a later-departing train. If you MISS your reserved train by MORE THAN ONE HOUR, you FORFEIT the ticket, and must purchase a brand new ticket at the full fare!!!

IF you purchased an "ECONOMY" or "SUPER ECONOMY" fare ticket (promotional fares), and MISS your reserved train BY ONE SECOND or more, you FORFEIT the ticket, and must purchase a brand new ticket at the full fare!!!

ADVICE: do NOT purchase tickets in advance for the reserved train to Venice, as your plane might be delayed, and you might MISS your reserved train and suffer a FORFEITURE of between 29 and 80 Euros per ticket).

Exception: IF you manage to find a very cheap SUPER ECONOMY fare ticket by booking up to four months in advance (29 Euros), and are willing to run the risk of MISSING that train and incurring a FORFEITURE (losing 29 Euros). The SUPER ECONOMY ticket CANNOT be changed, and is non-refundable. The ECONOMY ticket is also non-refundable, but can be changed once prior to scheduled departure, by paying the difference in fare to the BASE rate.

NOTE: The Leonardo da Vinci airport train to Roma Termini is an UNRESERVED train, costs a flat 14 Euros per person, and should NOT be booked in advance. Purchase the ticket at the airport train station, and take the first departing train to Termini. Purchase the separate ticket for the RESERVED train to Venice at the same time (at the airport train station), so you don't waste time when you arrive at Termini Station.

The airport BUSES to Termini cost 6 Euros, but take around 60 minutes (versus 32 minutes on the train).

Edited: 10 February 2014, 19:30
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

How many are in your party? Even with just 2 it might make sense in terms of "ease of use" to book with RomeCabs for the run into the city: www.romecabs.com/transferservice/airports/

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

There are 4 of you @ 14 Euro each - 56 Euro for the LE. I've had experience with www.romeshuttlelimousine.com and they'll meet you at arrivals, I think the fare is 50 Euro for 4 people. The ride is definitely more relaxing than the LE.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 21:35
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

If you take the Leonardo da Vinci airport train (UNRESERVED) to Termini Station, don't forget to VALIDATE your paper ticket in the validation machine next to the departure platform before boarding the train.

You are NOT required to validate your ticket (any kind of ticket) for the RESERVED train to Venice. This rule applies to any RESERVED train in the Trenitalia network.

You need to allow at least a 20 minute connection at Roma Termini to catch your reserved train to Venice (also to allow for the possibility that the airport train is running late). If the airport train is MORE than 20 minutes late, and you MISS your connection to the reserved train to Venice, Trenitalia will PROTECT you and allow you to book the next available train to Venice AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. (The minimum legal connection time is actually 15 minutes at Roma Termini, but I nevertheless recommend at least 20 minutes for practical reasons). Go to the Trenitalia mobile help desk near the center of the departures atrium (facing the departure platforms) for assistance in getting the reservation change. You do NOT need to go to the long line in front of the staffed ticket windows for this service, and using the mobile help desk is usually much faster.

8. Re: FCO to Roma Termini early on a Sunday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:19