We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome and day excursion advice

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Topic
Rome and day excursion advice

I have 5 full days in Rome.

Actually 7 days but the 2 other days are partial days - traveling days.

I don't think I will be going into the Vatican and most of my activities would be sight seeing from the outside or just walking the city.

The only thing I may do is the forum and the coliseum (enter).

I am afraid that 5 full days may be too much for just walking around.

Do you think it would be too much?

The Amalfi looks absolutely beautiful to me but I am concern it would be too rush for a day trip. Do you think so? Of course I had not taken into consideration of the cost before. Any other really good must see day trip excursions or other activities?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

5 Days is a good amount of time even if you don't enter most of the sites.

For day trips you can check the Top Questions in the upper right of this page. There is a great discussion on where to go and what to do. I'm sure you'll find something to fit your budget.

The Amalfi coast is too far to do as a day trip and would need to be done as an overnight.

Donna

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

We had five full days in Rome last summer. We visited many of the highlights in Rome, and took a day trip to Florence. We did a lot of walking - just exploring, and stopping in at a church or café or whatever caught our interest along the way. We found Rome to be more spread out than Paris; so the walking was a great way to get a feel for the city and stop at some unexpected sights. You mention you may only want to do the coliseum - there are many other beautiful things to see by walking in Rome; I think you'll come across some great things by just walking around. Now, having said that, we are two adults and a teen, so our pace was much different than yours likely will be.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

"I am afraid that 5 full days may be too much for just walking around"

Five full days will definitely be "too much for just walking around" if that is all you do. There is a seemingly endless amount of stuff do in Rome - much more than you can do in 5 days or even 5 weeks. I can't imagine being in Rome for that length of time and not checking out some of the museums and the beautiful cathedrals. So much history packed into such a small area - it's just amazing.

I know the options can seem overwhelming, but I encourage you to find some "inside" activities to do while you are there. There are many things that can be done on your schedule, for free or at very little cost. Tell us what your interests are and I am sure you will get some great suggestions here.

-JimG

Edited: 11 February 2014, 14:04
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

Good point, Jim. Pick some sights/attractions to walk to so you have a destination, and then stop in at whatever else you see along the way. We had one "main" attraction or walking tour planned each day; then strolled from there.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 14:14
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

Hi,

can I ask you why you want just to walk around? I'm asking because if the problem is not to spend money in entry tickets there are many free sites where you can go, mostly a lot of churches that often contains amazing artworks (as Bernini statues or Caravaggio paintings). Otherwise if you don't want to spend time indoor there are a lot of beautiful public parks (as Villa Borghese or Villa Pamphili) or archaeological sites as the Appian way. Anyway Rome is a great city and you could spend really more than 5 dayswalking around...Just discover all the district, also the not so famous ones as EUR (modern) and Coppedè.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

You're coming with a kid if I remember well, so take your time and relax, a day trip is very tiring. Churches are very intersting for kids so full of mistery and charme, a little morbid sometimes.

You can go inside St Peter's basilica for free and you know, children are always welcome in churches.

You can also plan a day at Villa Borghese a nice park in the city.

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

Thanks so much for the advice.

If I do take a day trip, I think it will be ad hoc there.

To be honest, I am really a design, architecture buff and not so much into history.

So Paris is going to be like wow for me.

I have done a lot more research on Paris already and know I love it absolutely.

Now I am starting my research on Rome and am a bit lost on where to start and what to see besides hitting the big spots.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

If you're into achitecture then Roman ancient building are must sees, check out Pantheon in Rome or the columns in St Perer square

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

Get a guide book. It will go beyond the Top Tourist sites and tell you about the lesser visit sites. If you like design and architecture you'll love Rome. There are so many layers of architecture that you won't know where to look next.

Donna

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome and day excursion advice

Hula - just came across this; not sure if you are still looking for a private tour for your family....

http://www.driverguideservice.com/