We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

encino, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

Any suggestions to avoid charges by Hertz? October, 2013, this location refused to honor or acknowledge a prepaid car rental via "Easy Click" made almost one year earlier, (copy of reservation/payment in hand). The staff and manager first said they could not locate the reservation despite our confirmations. Easy Click and Hertz provided them the, "code", Hertz staff claimed they did not have. This still did not solve the problem. We were rudely delayed and forced to take their rates and car insurance, (or no car rental), as travel plans for two couples were held hostage.

Multiple calls with expensive roaming charges were made for hours to EASY CLICK/HERTZ to timely intervene in this situation. Continuing follow-up calls and emails by our traveling companions/credit card holder, were made to complain and dispute these charges with HERTZ, AMERICAN EXPRESS and EASY CLICK. Extreme disgust continues as NO ONE wishes to honor the original contract. Almost 6 months since our travel, they were "slammed" by an additional 42.70 Euro for an "administrative charge" for looking their information for a dubious traffic ticket.

Does anyone have any further suggestions? Note, the reservations, credit card charges placed by our traveling companions, so Hertz, Easy Click and American Express do not want to speak with us. We are basically 3rd party beneficiaries since we have to reimburse our friends half the cost.

We have never had any trouble renting with any other car agencies in Europe. It is obvious HERTZ's lack of any compensation, consideration or constructive action in this, perhaps isolated experience, shows HERTZ to be unreliable, uncaring and contribute to this form of travelers' extortion.

American Express Platinum and Easy Click, while acknowledging our plight, were no better and did NOT change anything. Shame on HERTZ, EASY CLICK and AMERICAN EXPRESS-PLATINUM!!!

We two couples are looking for any suggestions and warning you to stay away from renting from this location. Looking for travelers comments...Thank you all.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

This is the rome forum. You should post this on the Venice forum.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

My experience with Amex Platinum was outstanding and if there was a problem, they always gave me the benefit of any doubt and I would have your friends try to get their help. The "administrative charge" is a lagitimate charge and is for providing Italian authorities with your information. You should be getting a traffic ticket by registered mail in the coming months. If you don't pay it, it has been reported that the fine can be turned over to a local U.S. collection agent.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

You were holding - in your hands - confirmation of reservation and payment of the rental, and they refused to acknowledge that rental confirmation? You couldn't go online and bring Amex website and your account to show payment of the rental (if you didn't for some reason have the confirmation in hand?)

(Sorry, I'm not fully understanding the story)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

I had a run-in with Hetz over a Pisa rental last year where we agreed a price over the phone and despite various subsequent assurances, never received written confirmation as to the price (we were haggling over £20 or so). Later I noticed on their website that 2nd drivers aren't charged for gold members so one phone call got me a refund of £50 or so without a quibble. Success (although you would think they would have picked this up

beforehand).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

Surely this has nothing to do with Venice either? It's a commercial dispute (the actual company could be in Timbuktu for all it would be relevant to a specific city or country) and it also sounds as though it should be being followed by the people whose credit card details were actually used (it appears these were not the OP's). THEY could surely pursue this with their credit card company and indeed Hertz HEAD OFFICE for Italy (which is in FLORENCE: http://allcustomercarenumbers.com/customer-service-number-hertz-italy-06029), if you have a pre-agreed price in writing.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

I had a similar traffic ticket from Avis rental cost me $112.00 us, 86 Euros First they charge my credit card I disputed it and almost one year later I get a court ticket to pay. To this day I really don't know where I actually got this ticket. Never got anything on the window or door. Never rent a car in Italy again. take the taxi instead if you travel with 4 or more people taking the taxi will be cheaper in the long run. Take the taxi to the train station to go to all the popular cities in Italy you save even more when factoring gas,toll, parking cost 20 euros a day in Rome, Florence. It be cheaper by taxi and you don't get any surprises when you get home.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

You were photographed either driving in a restricted zone or lane, speeding or illegally parking. There are a number of ways to get fines in Italy and most are done by camera. It sounds like you were driving in the city and those are restricted areas. The ticket was not given to you by the rental company. That was the fee you agreed to for them to research your information and give it to the authorities. The actual fine came later.

Donna

Venice, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

Rent for work very often with hertz in the Venice area, and I happened to attend as long as I wait my turn. In this case the problem is not the Hertz but an intermediary who has withheld the money without really make a booking! Do not rely on intermediaries, charged directly to the hire company! I would not be in the place of workers in the car, that lie ahead for hours, rude customers who think they are always right. Obviously, if there is no reservation, the price you pay is the present moment. Well done, boys Hertz Venice and Mestre. Council to all customers of any business hotel or restaurant more kindness, more you will get from anyone!

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

I had a terrible experience with Hertz @ Venice Marco Polo Airport. Very suspicious service.

Rent from another rental car company. I had a terrible experience in Venice at the Marco Polo Airport.

1) Regarding the tank, it was not full. It was under the 'full' mark. That's neither here or there. There have been numerous times I have rented from Hertz in the past and when given the gas at the 3./4 tank, etc and I agree to fill, I usually overfill anyway as I can't gauge when the tank is full at the gas station. I was charged a ridiculous amount for gas

2) I was a visitor in a foreign country so of course I would have opted to choose the prepaid gas alternative. However, their rep recommended I choose the option to fill the tank on my own. She assured me that there was a gas station right before entering the car rental return. I took her advice, but when I arrived for my flight the gas station was closed. I had no choice but to turn the car with gas filled 3/4n to avoid missing my flight

3) I feel I was truly deceived to pay out a higher gas price. I should have opted for prepaid gas., but I trusted their Hertz rep to provide a solution that was fair and practical, the best solution; not a solution that would prey on my lack of knowledge of the area and/or anxiety in figuring out where an open gas station was prior to filling up the tank fully. Again the tank was just below full upon receipt. Furthermore, the amount of time it has taken to get a response from their poor customer service skills has proven to me that it's not about the customer or Hertz's 'goodwill.

I was charged over $100 for 3/4 of gas

Don't rent from Hertz, especially in Italy.

encino, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of conduct Hertz-Venice Mestre Stazione

To clear up any confusion: We did have a copy of the Hertz prepaid confirmation car rental with us when we came to pick up the car. They would not honor it and said they could not find it on their computer. For 24 hours, Hertz and American express did NOT help us to get the contract price agreed upon on our confirmation. We did dispute the over charges for the rental as our vacation was held hostage. Also, Hertz at the above location was horrible when returning the car and would not take it back until exactly the time written on the contract,( not even 15 minutes early). Almost one year later there is NO resolution.

As for the ticket, all 4 of us travelers know we did NOT park illegally, did NOT speed or provide any basis for ANY driving violation. We dispute this charge with AMEX and still have NO resolution. No information when, where or how the alleged Italian driving/parking violation occurred has been provided.