We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

New Orleans...
1 post
Save Topic
Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

We will be arriving at FCO at 7:30 am, after a long overnight flight from Atlanta. Our hotel check-in is not unti 3:00 pm. I am assuming we will be able to drop off our luggage at the hotel, but I am a little disappointed we will not have the chance to freshen up before we begin our first day (ever) in Europe. Any suggestions as to what we should do that first day? We will be staying at the Hotel Dei Mellini, which is fairly close to Vatican City. I am sort of thinking, knowing my family, that we will need to be able to be back at the hotel pretty near 3:00 pm to check in, get settled, shower, and then maybe go out to a nice, relaxing dinner that evening. Any suggestions as to how to get the most out of the day even though we will be tired and unclean, lol. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,431 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

Just go out and start walking and gawking at that beautiful city: you aren't going to be that unclean presuming you took a shower prior to your flight - don't worry about that - thousands do it every single day.

You will likely reach your hotel around 9:30 or 10 - wander - best to stay outside if possible - when jet lagged; then have a terrific lunch, hopefully being able to sit outside and watch the world go by - lunch is usually between 12:30 or 1 and 3 p.m.

It's not like you will be out for even half a day - maybe just 4 or 5 hours. Enjoy it - the place will wake you up, I promise.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

Walk south along the Tiber and check out what yo might see there. Eat a big lunch (1-3 pm). Restaurants do not open till 7 pm and often my first day in Rome, I can hardly stay awake during dinner and hit the sack at about 7pm.

Along the Tiber

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

I agree - just walk! There is so many amazing things to see in Rome that don't require too much energy! Wander past the Castel S' Angelo, have lunch in the Piazza Navona (though it is really touristy, it is a must see ;0), do a first visit to the Pantheon (you can easily walk to all these from where you are staying). Above all - ENJOY!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,314 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

perhaps a good day for the Palatine and Forum which keeps you outdoors. or a good day for Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. you could get lunch at one of the touristy places on the plaza by the Pantheon -- yeah tourist trap and watch your bill but the food is okay and the setting unparalleled.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

You know you can actually book the night before so the room is your when you arrive at 7.3oam. I know lots of people who do it. Arrive check in, shower, drop bags and go off for the day.

We did it in Paris after the night train from Barcelona. They charged us 30EUR to check into our family room at 8am.

Just call and ask.

If not then drop bags use the airport bathroom for a quick clean up and you will be good to go.

Just about every flight from North America dumps you in Europe very early in the morning, you just have to stagger about with the rest of the exhausted tourists if you do not want to book your room for arrival.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
422 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

On both trips to Rome I was able to get into my room when I arrived (at around 10), so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. Email the hotel a couple of days before your trip just to give them a heads up regarding your arrival time and sometimes they will be prepared for your early checkin.

Since my first trip was relatively short, the day we arrived we'd booked a tour of the Palatine Hill and Forum for the afternoon (if I recall, around 2ish), hoping that we wouldn't run into any flight delays. It was great and the sheer joy of being in Rome and seeing the sites kept me awake without a problem.

My second trip, last March, I made reservations to tour Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini, which was very interesting and low-key - easy for a first day.

My biggest mistake? Against my better judgement, on the 2nd trip I let my 12 year old nap for an hour. BAD IDEA!! Get out and walk but avoid the bed until bedtime!!

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

You will likely awaken early the next morning if you go to bed on arrival day around 2000-2100. Early morning you will have the tourist spots to yourselves for great photos. Trevi fountain was deserted at 0730 as was the Pantheon just to name a couple.

8. Re: Ideas for Rome Day One, before we can check into hotel room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:19