We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Italy - How To Do It

Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Italy - How To Do It

Hi

We will be flying into Rome in September this year. We will have two weeks to see the following areas in Italy:

Rome

Florence

Venice

Tuscany

Maybe Milan

Is it unrealistic to expect to see as much as we can of these places in a two week period? We want to organise the trip ourselves, rather than an organised tour. How long is suggested to stay in each place and in what order? Suggestions on how to get from one place to another would be very helpful (eg. train, bus). We don't really want to hire a car, although maybe it may be necessary in Tuscany? Otherwise, we could do a short tour of Tuscany?

We are heading to France after Italy. (Or would it be better weather-wise to go to France first?)

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...Chinta

Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

Thanks Mr Wiggins. What places did you go to in Italy and how did you get around?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,822 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

I would one only use public transportation and not worry about renting a vehicle. It seems you are hitting the spots that have a lot of history and arts and if that is the case I also would add one day to go to Pompeii if you are close to it in Rome.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

If you plan to tour Tuscany you will need a car to do it. There are tons of very small towns and having a car is the best way to visit these.

With 14 days I would spend 3 in Venice, 6 in Florence with day trips to other cities, and 5 in Rome. This will give you enough time to explore these areas and do day trips without being too rushed. Only rent the car for the Tuscany part of your trip and take the train from Venice to Florence and Florence to Rome. You won't need it beyond that.

Donna

Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

Thanks everyone.

Any recommendations as to what areas to stay in Rome and Venice, to make sightseeing easy?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

It really depends on your budget. There are really good budget accommodations to be found but the city center will be more expensive. The good thing about Rome is that it's compact and no matter where you stay you'll be close to some sites.

Donna

Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

Thanks Donna. Where to look for good budget accommodation in fairly good positions?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

What is your budget. I can't make a recommendation without knowing how much you want to spend.

Donna

Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

90-140 euros a night, so the lower end of the scale I guess. Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

I wouldn't rent a car if your hotel is in Florence. Parking and driving there are truly hellish. You could take day tours, or day trips by bus, to see the countryside, or you could stay outside of Florence, in a place with easy road access and parking, and visit Florence on a day trip by train, leaving the car at a peripheral station. With the amount of time you have, which is sufficient, but only just, I would prefer the former.

Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Travelling Italy - How To Do It

Thanks for the help everyone. Mainly looking now for Rome and Venice accommodation ideas. Advice on best areas in these two places to make sightseeing not too difficult, would be great.