We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KelflyOh
Level Contributor
340 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

I believe I read that at the Borghese Gallery, among other places, in order to rent the audio guide, you must leave them your passport, etc. (I assume so that they know you will return the audio?). Am a bit concerned about leaving our passports in exchange for this at various sights -- if it gets lost, misplaced, given back to wrong person, we could spend a lot of our scheduled trip getting replacements! Can we leave a driver's license or our 'expired' passports instead? Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

I've used a driver's license without a problem.

TAB

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

These people spend all day, every day, looking after visitors' luggage and their identification documents. They are not amateurs and are unlikely to make mistakes.

Having said that, when we visited the Borghese they were happy to accept my photo driving license.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

At the Borghese I believe you cannot carry anything in with you including purses so I presume those that keep their passports with them carry them in their pockets.

<< It is compulsory to deposit every kind of bag, purse, camera, video camera, umbrella. >>

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

Yes, you must bag check everything except coats/jackets so have your ID and rental money out before you check your bag.

TAB

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
269 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

We had to leave ours when we visited the Borghese,and also when we visited the Capitoline. I must admit,I was really worried about leaving them,but as a previous reviewer said,they look after so many,and don't make mistakes.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 15:41
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

As a precaution - in any case for your entire trip - have copies of your passport in your room's safe or locked in your luggage in case you lose the original somehow; but, as noted, these staffers know their job and it will be fine. But, if something unlikely were to happen to the original - you can get a replacement passport quickly, made easier if you have a copy of it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,078 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

never leave a passport in such a situation. they are often just thrown on a counter or in a drawer and there is little security -- I use my driver's license and if that were not sufficient would do without. having to deal with replacing a passport during travel is a nightmare and a huge time waster.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

I don't agree with #7 and wonder on what basis this statement is made! I've never had any trouble recovering documents (national ID card) from anywhere I have had to deposit one for this purpose, and travelling with groups I have never known a case when the wrong item was given to the wrong person.

Re passport security, these days it's a good idea to scan the main page/significant pages and keep this in your webmail or other place you can access from anywhere in the world. If your passport was lost/ stolen/ destroyed somewhere this would make it much easier to replace.

Hants
Level Contributor
150 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

Passports are government property and should only be handed over if a law requires it, and I'm not sure audio equipment fits that bill.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving ID's at museums, etc. for using audio guides

Number 7 is wrong. They put them in a locked drawer in a specific slot. When you return the audio guide they go to the exact slot and retrieve your documents. They are not thrown willy-nilly onto the counter.

You are required by law to carry your passport and these companies have been doing this type of business for years. If there were any types of problems with people not getting their passports back we would hear about it on this forum. You don't need to worry, nothing will happen to it.

Nelly, if you wish to rent an audio guide from most museums they require a passport as collateral. Some will take a drivers license but some will not. You don't have the choice if you want to rent the audio guide.

donna

Edited: 19 February 2014, 18:14