We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Naples trains

Hammond, Louisiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Naples trains

My husband and I are traveling from Rome to Naples in May. Is it possible to board a train near or at the Rome airport that will take us to Naples? Are the trains clean and reliable?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,576 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Naples trains

No. You need to go to Rome. Yes, the trains and clean and reliable - we can only dream of trains like this in the U.S.

Use Trenitalia or Italo for tickets; if you buy in advance on www.trenitalia.com you may be able to get a discounted fare and if you do, read the terms and conditions for the fare.

The fast train takes just 70 minutes Rome to Naples, no stops.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Naples trains

For the best prices, buy now direct from the train operator. Tickets for May have been on sale since January, and the cheapest tickets may have sold out on some trains. See www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Naples trains

We bought our rail tickets from Rome-Naples from www.italiarail.it,and our case,found them to be cheaper than other websites. We got our train at Roma Termini,and yes,the trains are very clean and comfortable.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 11:09
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Naples trains

ItaliaRail has the same prices as Trenitalia, but has a booking fee.

Hammond, Louisiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Naples trains

Do I want to depart from Roma Termini?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Naples trains

If you are travelling on a Trenitalia train, you have to start from Termini.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Naples trains

Trenitalia uses Roma Termini, Italotreno uses Tiburtina.

This is from the Top Questions to the right for to and from FCO:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c144716/Rome:…

I wouldn't buy the Rome to Napoli Centrale tickets ahead of time as your plane might be late or you are delayed at FCO getting luggage.

You can purchase your tickets to Naples at the station using a kiosk (cash only, I've had no luck with my US credit card). You can also buy through the agent at the windows (my credit card works there).

The fast train is 43 Euro p/p and second class is totally fine. If you choose that option, your ticket will have the carriage number and seat number. Look at the display board for the binaro (track number).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Naples trains

From some recent posts, it seems that the station ticket office at FCO sells tickets only to Rome, but you can buy tickets to other parts of Italy at the travel agent at the station.

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Naples trains

dg banderson 1, We paid £17 each for our tickets from Rome Termini to Naples,and £1.50 booking fee,from www.italiarail.it. I don't know how much that is in US$

Edited: 22 February 2014, 12:38
North York Moors...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Naples trains

About 30 US $ per person?

Edited: 22 February 2014, 12:40