We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Museum to St.Peter's Basilica

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
159 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Museum to St.Peter's Basilica

I am helping a friend with Rome plans. I have seen several mentions of the exit out of Sistine Chapel to the Basilica. When I was there a few years ago, we did the museum tour. The tour ended by leaving you at the chapel. We were not permitted to exit to the basilica and had to walk around and enter through St Peter's Square. Has something changed? or must you book the museum and St Peter's tour for access to this route?

Thank you for any help.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,092 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Museum to St.Peter's Basilica

When we've taken the Vatican Museums tour they directed us out the exit that took us directly to St. Peter's without going through security again.

Orlando, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Museum to St.Peter's Basilica

The regular museum tour still ends at the sistine chapel. There is a passageway which only certain tours are allowed to use. It is closed to the general public.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Museum to St.Peter's Basilica

If you book directly with the Vatican you'll be able to use this bypass. It's not really much shorter but you get to bypass the security lines.

The guards will check for your tour tickets so keep them handy. If you don't have them they'll make you use the regular exit.

donna

Boston...
Level Contributor
159 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Museum to St.Peter's Basilica

Thank you Donna. That is the info I am looking for. We had done a Vatican tour but probably did not have our tickets out and were sent to the other exit.

5. Re: Vatican Museum to St.Peter's Basilica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23