We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
274 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

First time visit in October. 4 nights visit.

Trying to find the [best neighborhood] for our hotel stay with a balance of the following criteria:

- as economical as possible (3 star or better)

- reasonable proximity to the most common attractions or good transportation available

- something off of the beaten path, quaint, less touristy feeling of a local neighborhood.

- Restaurants in the vicinity.

Neighborhood of Trastavere is on our radar, but not sure if it achieves the criteria....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

Number of hotel starts in Italy have to do with amenities, not quality so read reviews carefully on sites like www.venere.com or www.booking.com - both those sites, unlike reviews here on TA, confirm the reviewer did in fact, stay in the property.

I have no idea what "economical" to you means - so, I'd check those two sites above, where you can sort by budget, keeping in mind October is high season and prices will reflect that.

I don't know what area would suit your criteria when you want it in "reasonable" proximity to most sites. So, see what comes up when doing your search and look to see which neighborhood it is in and locate it on a map - if you haven't yet got your guidebook (which does offer decent explanations of neighborhoods if it is a good book) and your map - then do some googling.

Parts of Trastevere could work if near enough to the tram - but, again, a map is important in planning this part - there are some good ones to look at online and most websites for lodgings include a map of where they are located.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
274 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

Thanks MomCat. Will checkout those sites.

Economical = under $230 including taxes. Avoiding Ritz level. Hampton Inn level at best. Private Bath, inside entry, queen bed, Free Breakfast, Free Wi-Fi, Quiet rooms (from outside noise and room to room noise).

Reasonable Proximity to most sites = within 15 minutes walk to some of the sites/ a good strategic area for our quick 4 day visit.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 18:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

Do start thinking in euros - it will make your planning and figuring out your budget easier to understand - in today's currency exchange rate, your $230 is 167 euros; all taxes are always included in prices quoted to you for lodgings in Italy EXCEPT for the few euros (how many depends on number of stars lodging has) per person - nothing that in any way breaks the bank - maybe about 3 euros per person per night for what you are seeking.

Currency exchange info - www.xe.com -

Sorry, I do not know of a place in that budget for that time of year - I'm sure others will have suggestions for you.

It's hard to be "less touristy" when looking for accommodation within that proximity of the sites - but, some areas are less so; lodgings around the Vatican are usually less pricey so you might look there - as to how busy an area it is will depend on which streets in certain areas as well - You might check out Monti, Jewish Ghetto, Testaccio, Prati (which I find that most of what I know of Prati to be very residential) - anyway, do read up on the different areas so you can choose

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

I've stayed at the Hotel Alexandra twice, just ask for a room not facing the street.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d205841…

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
57 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

We went to Rome in Dec 2013 and stayed at the Azzurra Apartments near Navona. It is not luxurious but clean and within walking distance to the main sights ie. Vatican City (10 mins), Navona Square (10 minutes), Colloseum (20 mins). The taxi stand is about 5 mins walk away which makes it suitable for further sights like St John etc. Just below the apartment is the bus stop and a Carrefour Express. The price in Dec is about than EUR120 per night for four of us. Breakfast is included in the price.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,372 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

Perhaps you could start on Tripadvisor itself. Go to the green bar at the top of the page, click on hotels and go from there. They come with costings and reviews.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
274 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

We ended up staying in a top floor apartment located on the Western side of Trastevere, one block west of the street labeled: Viale d Trastevere which is the main artery where the tram runs. It's a bit quieter vs the west side without sacrificing any of the charm or proximity to anything. Plenty of restaurant and bar choices. Transportation is easy to get nearby. It's easy to walk across any of the bridges to the center of Rome where the more common attractions are located. Plus the local town charm and conveniences are abundant with grocery store, department store, cheese and meat store, cookie and biscotti bakery, and bread bakery. Church bells were a treat.

Just what I had in mind in my initial post. Thanks everyone for your advice.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
274 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

Revision to my post #7

The apartment location was the eastern side of Trastevere not west. And East of The street labeled Viale d. Trastevere

Additionally, the area was well lit at night.

Edited: 15 November 2014, 15:09
9. Re: Optimum hotel neighborhood for 4 day visit? Help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 05:15