We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

If I am in Roma, Can I get my passport stamped by SMOM? How? Any timing concerns I need plan around?

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

The SMOM is not an independent state, so... no passport stamp for you.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 07:56
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

According to Wikipedia SMOM does issue its own passports, and it qualifies as an independent state under some guidelines. Nevertheless, are you certain they never stamp other passports/ If not, it's probably because they don't have any territory and they don't want to be bothered with all the personnel issues required on their end. Right?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k72421…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

It may issue its own passports, but it has no borders, no territory and no border control agency. There is nobody who would stamp a passport.

Your idea of getting your passport stamped in mini-states in Europe will not work, as there are no passport controls for these states.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

You can (if you are going there, of course) get a passport stamped in San Marino, but you have to pay for it. And it cannot be done at the "border" as there are no border controls within Schengen.

But the SMOM has no separate territory, unless it is in MALTA - and of course if you go to Malta you can (IF arriving from outside Schengen!) get a stamp in your passport.

Just because diplomatic missions of other countries may have some separate status in the territory of the country they are located in, and their staff have diplomatic passports issued by their home countries, does not mean that foreigners entering those missions can get a stamp in THEIR passport!

Edited: 28 February 2014, 12:08
Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

in 1985, I had my passport stamped by the Knights of Malta, inside their sovereign territory, their building at 68 Via Condotti.

7. Re: Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17