We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

We are going on a family trip of 8 (I know.. CRAZY).

Here is our plan. Tickets and Rome hotel are booked. Trying to figure out if our plans for transport/locations are feasible. We are flying into ROME on May 3rd, and flying out of Florence on May 11th.

Our planned itinerary is as follows:

Sat- May 3rd: Rome. Sleep Rome.

Sun- May 4th: Rome. Sleep Rome.

Mon- May 5th: Rome/Vatican. Sleep Rome.

Tues- May 6th: Rome. Sleep Pompeii.

Wed- May 7th: Pompeii. Sleep Chianti (Greve?)

Thurs- May 8th: Chianti Sleep Chianti

Fri- May 9th: Pisa Sleep Chianti

Sat- May 10th: Florence Sleep Florence

Sun- May 11th: Fly out in AM

We are planning on renting a car, since we heard you really need a car in Tuscany. So our idea was to rent a car our last day in Rome and drive to Pompeii, then drive up to Chianti area and do day trips from a base in Greve. Van for 8 at around $650 for this time period (rent in ROME return in FLORENCE).

What do you think? A few questions:

-Is it too ambitious to drive from Rome to Pompeii, then up to Chianti? I heard driving in Naples is a nightmare. Is it possible to avoid Naples completely when driving to Pompeii?

-Do we need more time in Pompeii? Should we sleep in Sorrento instead?

Any and every thought is appreciated! Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,946 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

You have one week in Italy. That's 7 full days. Personally, I think you're trying to plan too much. With one week you should see no more than two cities.

My advice would be to spend May 3-6 in Rome. Early morning on the 7th go to Pompeii for the day and take the late train to where ever you're staying in Chianti. If you need to go to Florence to pick up the car you should do it that day. Spend 7-9 in Chianti with your day trip to Pisa and on the 10th go to Florence for your flight home the next morning.

If you follow the itinerary you have planned with changing hotels 4 times you'll end up wasting a lot of time. With only changing hotels twice you should have more time to explore. Remember, it takes at least half a day to change locations.

Donna

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

Thanks Donna! If we took a train to Pompeii and then Florence on that same day, do you have any advice for what to do with luggage?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,946 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

You can leave it at the Naples train station in their storage facility.

Donna

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

I dont know what your plans are for Rome but one of the best things we have ever done in several trips to Rome is the Underground Rome tour done by the company called Through Eternity. EXCELLENT worth looking at their website. They do a forum and colleseum tour that is also excellent. With a family of 8 i'd recommend a private tour - expensive but worth every single penny. The other thing really fun depending on the age of the family is the the Gladiatore Scule (Gladiator school) - great even for adults - went with 3 middle aged adults and laughed the entire time - excellent and actually learned a lot

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

If you're only going south to Pompei, I'd make it a day trip from Rome so you don't have to deal with the luggage. It's a long day, but it's certainly possible. This also saves you the time involved with checking in and out of one extra hotel, which takes more time than you think when you've got that many people and rooms. Add one more night to your Rome stay so you only wind up with two sleeping locations, Rome and Tuscany.

The fast train from Rome to Naples takes only 70 minutes and you can get good deals by booking well in advance. The local train from Naples to Pompei takes about 35 minutes. If you want, you could stop in Naples on the way back and try out their famous pizza.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 23:14
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

I meant to say in my previous post that you should consider not overnighting in Florence - simply make Florence a day trip from your location in Chianti. The in and out with a lot of people and luggage is more wearing than you realize, and eats up valuable time which you don't have much of with this schedule.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,946 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

That was sort of my suggestion but instead of going back to Rome they should go to their place in Chianti instead. This will give them more time the next day to explore that area.

Donna

8. Re: Please help with our Italy trip! Rome--> Pompeii --> Greve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 06:17