We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Tours - sticky?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south western...
Level Contributor
994 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Tours - sticky?

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but a search did not lead to any one comprehensive thread. I am looking for a description of the various tours offered by the Vatican's website. They do list the places the tours will take you, but it would be great to see a more detailed description of what we would see on each tour, to help with the decision. We are going last week of March this year. Thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

If you can pick up a GOOD guide book before you go (such as the Eyewitness Travel book on Rome), it gives you a good list (with a few pics) of what is inside the Vatican. Just correlate the two lists.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Settori.html

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Mostre.html

Donna

south western...
Level Contributor
994 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

Thanks for the info. I ended up booking the tour that includes St Peters Basilica, but not the gardens. I figured the gardens might be easier to do on our own.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

You can't enter Vatican gardens on your own but only with a tour.

south western...
Level Contributor
994 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

Oh, darn, I did not know that. That's why I thought a sticky with a description of the various tours, and what you can and can't see on your own, would be useful. I bought the tour for Vatican Museums and St Peter's Basilica. Are there any other areas we can tour on our own with the same entry?

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

Vatican City: you can enter on your own only Vatican Museum and St Peter's basilica. Vatican gardens and scavi tours can be entered only with a tour. All the other parts of the Country are off limits for visitors.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

The Vatican website gives very clear information on what you can see on your own and what you must be on a tour to see. They don't sell entry tickets to the gardens because you must be on a tour to visit them. Likewise, they sell entry tickets to the museums because you don't need to be on a tour to visit them but you can book a tour if you wish.

Just click on each option and it will give you a description of what's included

Donna

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

You can google the vatican museum tickets and I think the ending is vatican.va. We have reserved the museum tour, Sistine Chapel, and, of course, it ends in the Basilica for which you may wander on your own time. It was well worth the time. Be early for your time and enjoy the guides. We are turning in April and I see that the week we are there, there are NO English tours at all ... so we will still buy the tickets to roam by ourselves just to avoid the lines.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

You can google the vatican museum tickets and I think the ending is vatican.va. We have reserved the museum tour, Sistine Chapel, and, of course, it ends in the Basilica for which you may wander on your own time. It was well worth the time. Be early for your time and enjoy the guides. We are turning in April and I see that the week we are there, there are NO English tours at all ... so we will still buy the tickets to roam by ourselves just to avoid the lines.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Tours - sticky?

How are the tours offered by the Vatican themselves? How do they compare with a private tour company to see the Museums and Basilica?