We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to route on Marathon day

Kfar Saba
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How to route on Marathon day

Hello,

My question is mainly for locals... or those who know the expected routes on March 23rd (Rome Marathon day).

I will be at the Colosseum and Roman Forum on that day (expecting to finish around Noon).

What would you think is the best way to travel on that day; from the Colosseum area to Campo de' Fiori area?

One note - Not by foot!

Any suggestion will be good (since I expect public transportation to be corrupted).

Thanks,

Alon

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to route on Marathon day

Yikes! I can't wait to hear what suggestions you get. According to the marathon's web site the start and end of the route is at the Colosseum, so I would expect entire area to be a mess most of the day.

Rome's marathon really does go right through the historic heart of the city, unlike Naples. I arrived in Naples a couple of weeks ago on their marathon day and downtown traffic was completely screwed up five blocks from the race finish line, even though the race itself was mostly outside of the center.

Rome marathon map: maratonadiroma.it/PWA_uploads/1-percorso-201… (the map is from 2012 but the note says there may be minor variations)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,494 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to route on Marathon day

You won't get there without being on foot; I tried two years ago from Campo de'Fiori and then at another taxi rank in Trastevere because I was running a bit late and even while I offered quite a chunk of change (I had an underground tour scheduled) - no taxi drivers would take me - it's way too crazy with road closures, etc - You will get caught up in horrendous human traffic trying to get there - just as I did - going on foot and missed my tour completely - it took me about 1.5 hours to finally reach it and I wasn't even allowed to get close to the front of the Colosseum as everything was blocked off.

Then tried to get the metro - that was closed.

Forget buses

Actually, try to reschedule your time - it is truly a massive mass of humanity and the route goes right to the Colosseum - you can't really even reach it easily from the west of the route -

Yeah- reschedule.

I've been there twice now for it - last time, I had completely forgotten about it and arrived from Venice at Termini - got a taxi who had to drop me about a 30 minute walk from Campo de'Fiori because I couldn't find a spot to cross safely over the road on which the runners were running - another mess - but, at least I didn't lose $30 that day - just took my time and crossed over by the Trevi Fountain to go west.

Kfar Saba
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to route on Marathon day

I heard that all Metro stops are open on that day... was that not the case for you? was the Colosseum Metro stop closed that day?

I was looking for more information about the Public Transportation - and could not find any.

My thought was to take the metro from the Colosseum to Circo Massimo - and then... probably a taxi north bound (as far as it can go) up until Campo de'Fiori.

Is that wishful thinking?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,494 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to route on Marathon day

It probably opened later; I had stupidly booked a time for the tour at close to the end time of the race and it was closed at that point. I'm sure it opened later.

If you want to tackle it, give it a go - no buses will be running right near there during that time and give yourself minimum of 1.5 hours - I had (again, stupidly) thought I could walk there pretty straight on from Campo de'Fiori after taxis almost laughed in my face - but, you get get caught up in the massive re-routing near Piazza Venezia - so, my route zig zagged and took me pretty far away from the direct route.

And, in the re-routing, I was squished together with people to the point that I could barely move on my own, was pretty much just being moved along by the huge crowd of onlookers gathered in pretty narrow areas -

What time are you planning to go? If before 2 p.m., I'd not do it and even then, I'd save it to another day as there will still be hundreds of people around there with some barriers still set up.

Kfar Saba
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to route on Marathon day

My plan is to go on the Metro from my hotel to the Cavour Metro station - visit San Pietro in Vincoli, then walk to the Colosseum + Roman Forum (which is next to it).

If my plan is correct - I should be done by 12:30 (starting at around 9:00 AM).

The next phase of the day is what I am afraid of.... maybe I should just take the Metro away from there - to a northern point?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,494 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to route on Marathon day

Okay - have you looked at the map in post number 1? If so, you will see that Via dei Fiori Imperiali (part of the pink route of the run) will need to be crossed to reach it; that is where the mass of humanity is that is basically at a standstill on either side of that street because runners are running in it! You will reach it coming from northeast from your first visit of that day.

Either go later in the day or on another day or, of course, take your chances. You couldn't pay me again to be in the exact vicinity again - it was unnerving to be so squashed up against so many people that you can't move and turn around an go another way, etc.

All up to you as to what you do.

7. Re: How to route on Marathon day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:26