We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains around Italy from Roma

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
trains around Italy from Roma

I will be travelling all around Italy mostly by train, for about 3 weeks. I arrive in Rome early May, then I will go to Naples, Pompei on the circumvensuvai, Amalfi coast, back up to Rome to connect to Tuscany area ( Florence) ....whizzing around to local towns such as Siena, then I want to get somehow to Switzerland, perhaps on an overnite train to save a hostel fee. I need to get to Nyon near Geneva.

Then I will be going on to Germany, so about 3 weeks Italy, and 3 weeks Germany. Later I will be returning to Rome from Venice in a hurry!

My question is should I book some trains NOW to save costs or would I be better of getting some sort of rail pass....I need something fairly flexible, as I don't have definite days as yet, but I do for leaving Roma to Napoli.

Im not really fussed about the fast trains...IM a slow traveller, and like to look at the scenery, and save some money...Im on a tight budget. Whew!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,051 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,844 reviews
from US$125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,644 reviews
from US$58.00*
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains around Italy from Roma

You can book train travel 120 days in advance on www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for train times

Though you cannot change special price train tickets after purchase.

Trains Milan to Nyon www.sbb.com/en

Germany trains www.bahn.de/en

www.hostelworld.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Edited: 07 March 2014, 06:44
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trains around Italy from Roma

A rail pass is never worthwhile in Italy, especially you have no pay extra to make a seat reservation on most trains.

You have a choice between low prices or flexibility. If you book well in advance, you can get heavily discounted tickets, but these are strictly "no change, no refund". If you buy just before travel, you will pay the full undiscounted price. Your choice.

However, for the slow local (Regionale) trains, there is no point in buying in advance over the Internet. These trains have no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trains around Italy from Roma

There are no overnight trains between Italy and Switzerland. Advance fares from SBB for MIlan-Nyon give significant savings, but sell out fast.

4. Re: trains around Italy from Roma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:18