We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

type of clothes to pack

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
type of clothes to pack

HI,

What type of clothes to pack for weather in June. What is the attire in most places

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: type of clothes to pack

In general June will be warm. Make sure you pack some clothes suitable for visiting churches, that is, tshirts or tops that cover the shoulders/upper arms and skirts or trousers below the knee. Otherwise, just about what you would wear at home.

Take some sort of spray jacket or water repellent coat in case it rains.

I always pack colour coordinated (black, grey, red mostly) and in layers. I can wear a light thermal, t shirt, poloneck sweater, slacks and a light weight coat for cold and peel that back to a t-shirt and skirt for hot.

A hat might be a good idea and some scarves for making the same outfit look different.

The most important thing is good shoes for walking and maybe some walking sandals. Make sure they are well broken in before you go. You won't believe how much walking you can end up doing in one day.

Level Contributor
1,280 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: type of clothes to pack

Avoid tge sandals if you don't want to be immediately recognised as a tourist :D

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: type of clothes to pack

What are tge sandals? Or did you mean the sandals. All depends on the look. It is possible to get nice sandals that are good to walk in. And you could wear something like this with pants and look just fine.

http://zierashoes.com/Style/690/bronte?cat=2&

I agree that some of the "all terrain" types scream tourist, but if people find them comfy, so what.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: type of clothes to pack

It should be warm. But I was there last year for the first two weeks of June and it was unseasonably cool. Make sure you pack a light jacket and a sweater. Something you can layer if it is cooler.

I think Italians generally dress better "casual" than Americans, on the whole. I'd pack one nice pair of slacks or a skirt you can wear for dinner and maybe a pair of black ballet flats for same. Otherwise, you can keep it fairly casual.

A good idea is to bring a large scarf. My daughter wore sleeveless blouses the whole time and would use the scarf to cover her shoulders when we went into churches. On the odd occasion, she also used it to wrap around her shorts so we could go into a church. (She had a short sleeve shirt on that day, but her shorts were too short for churches. So the scarf acted as a great wrap-around skirt.) FYI- you can buy these on pretty much every street corner in Rome. :)

Have a great trip!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: type of clothes to pack

"Avoid tge sandals if you don't want to be immediately recognised as a tourist "

What is wrong with being recognized as a tourist? You can't fight it anyway, it's fairly obvious even if you purchase all of your clothing in Rome. You'll be visiting tourist sights. You may be carrying a map or a guidebook. You'll likely be speaking English. If you're American, the way you stand and walk is different than the way an Italian does, even facial expressions are different. It's a waste of time and energy to try and pretend you are anything other than who and what you are.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: type of clothes to pack

Jan, the first time I went to Rome was in June. It was very warm during the day. I remember pouring bottled water over our heads to cool off. You can wear anything you want! I wouldn't take rain gear, all u need is an umbrella. Wear comfortable shoes..,a good sandal is fine. You really can wear just about anything you want, but have something that covers your knees and shoulders for the vatican. You may want to take one pair of closed in shoes if it's a rainy day.. But I don't recall any rain when I was there. In the evenings, if you prefer you can dress up just a bit, but it's certainly not required.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 15:01
UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: type of clothes to pack

I've always been June & July and it does get very warm there with little breeze so light clothes but again appropriate ones depending on where you're wanting to visit

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: type of clothes to pack

The only way to look like an Italian woman is to get your hair cut in Italy, and, if there's the stray gray hair, you'd have to get it dyed as well, preferably to a color that doesn't exist in nature.

In central Rome, nearly everyone is a tourist. Even the Italians you see are tourists. The only people who stick out like sore thumbs are the native Romans.

I dress in Rome exactly the way I dress at home, which you might call cheapskate casual. I don't change for dinner unless I've been invited to dine with the president. Very elegant and expensive restaurants may require some degree of dressing up, which means I have one more reason not to go to them.

I definitely wear sandals in the summer, as do 90% of the Italian women I know. I can't imagine how that would make you look like a tourist. I also can't bear to wear closed shoes in the summer. However, when I go to Rome, I make sure they're very comfortable and thick-soled sandals.

I never wear shorts anywhere, so I'm always dressed suitably for churches. T-shirts and jeans are fine in churches; they just don't want too much skin showing. I don't bring jeans on trips, though, because they take up too much room in the suitcase. I take cotton slacks or capris in the summer, and short-sleeved shirts or knit tops. Even on hot days, it can be cool in the evenings in Rome, so I always bring a light sweater or jacket. I make sure everything matches everything else, so that I never find myself in the position of having slacks for which I have no matching clean shirt. I also don't bring white clothing, because it shows soil almost immediately. I plan on wearing everything multiple times, so I want things that don't show light soil.

Boston...
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: type of clothes to pack

can one enter churches etc with a good pair of walking sneakers? As that was my choice to bring with me for daily wear.

United States
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: type of clothes to pack

Sneakers are perfectly acceptable in churches.

TAB