We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

Hi,

My family and I will be flying in from Athens to Rome via Vueling and arriving in FCO at 1pm. We would like to take advantage of Trenitalia's crazy low fares (.....thinking worst case scenario, we will be down 9E each if we miss the train). But, if all goes well, how much time is enough time to catch train to Florence?

Much thanks,

Miko

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

I would allow at least 4 hours between scheduled landing at FCO and a train departure from Termini.

Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

Wow, that is a lot of time :( but I guess better safe than sorry. Thank you Nick.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

I think that most of the time, two or two and a half hours would be enough, especially since you won't have to pass immigration, just pick up your bags and head to the train station. However, to be safe, I would allow three hours. You can have lunch at Termini station if you arrive too early for your train.

Are you really finding fares between Rome and Florence as low as 9 euros? In the recent past, there have been almost no fares at such a low price.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

QUOTE:

"(.....thinking worst case scenario, we will be down 9E each if we miss the train). "

BEWARE: the cheapest SUPER ECONOMY fare on the Trenitalia Freccia train between Rome and Florence is now 19 (and not 9) Euros. You risk to forfeit 19 Euros per ticket if you MISS your reserved train holding this promotional fare.

The 9-Euro SUPER ECONOMY fare can now be found only on the Intercity train, which goes into Firenze RIFREDI Station (where you must connect to a regionale train to complete the trip to Firenze SMN). There are only a small number of Intercity trains on this route, and the required connection at Firenze Rifredi make them relatively undesirable, compared to the much faster Freccia trains and the direct (unreserved) regionale trains, both of which travel to Firenze SMN.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

The lowest promotional fare on rival ITALO Treno (out of Roma TIBURTINA station, however), appears to be 16 Euros on Saturdays, and 19 Euros on the other days of the week.

Hence, if you choose ITALO instead of Trenitalia, you risk forfeiting either 16 or 19 Euros per ticket with the lowest fares.

You do save money, however, by taking the Trenitalia airport train from FCO Airport to TIBURTINA (8 Euros) rather than to TERMINI (14 Euros).

Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

Thank you all for your replies. I had seen this fare in a promotional ad at the ItaliaRail website (13USD or 9E). Since our trip is not til Sept, I thought I was just too late to catch these when I tried to make mock bookings for June-- where I was only finding 38E tickets, but was hoping I could catch them for Sept.

Oh well......

We are traveling on a Sat, with 6 people in the group....there is another promotion that allows a Buy One Get One Free...will this be valid with Super Economy 19E tickets?

Much thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

Offers are almost ALWAYS based on the full price tickets ('BASE'), here is the promotion

"2x1 Special Offer

With our 2x1 Special Offer you can get two tickets at price of one. Travel with a friend and pay just one ticket, at the full Base price!

The offer is valid every Saturday for 1st and 2nd class in Business, Premium and Standard, on all national trains.

The offer is valid also on 19th March, Father's day.

It does not include Regional trains, Executive service and couchettes, Wagon Lits and Excelsior carriages. The offer has limited seat availability; the number of seats may vary depending on the train and service booked.

You can purchase the 2X1 offer for travelling until 14 th june 2014."

Italiarail probably has not updated their ads, the lowest price is now € 19. I checked for early July, and that is still correct. For 6 person, you have to do the booking twice, first for 4, then for 2

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

QUOTE from the Trenitalia website:

"You can purchase the 2X1 offer for travelling until 14 th june 2014"

This time limit must have been "snuck in" recently: I don't recall seeing it last time I looked!!!!!

On the other hand ....... I'm not surprised ..... why would Trenitalia extend this promotion during the SUMMER months?

Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

Thanks for clarifying that. This idea of pre-booking is looking less and less enticing.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Rome, onward to Florence- pre-booking train

Agreed. Just wait until you get there. But are there other tickets you could pre-book for the rest of your itinerary? It can add up to a significant amount.