We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Roma Pass a good idea?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Roma Pass a good idea?

Hi everyone,

We'll be stopping in Rome this May 23-26th. I was wondering if it's worth it to get the Roma pass? I saw on the site that the price increased to 34 euros. Our itinerary includes more walking around Rome experiencing the city as opposed to spending our days in museums. But we are spending a day at the Coliseum and Forum as well as one day at the Vatican (probably that Sunday; we're willing to face the crowds to go on the free day.) The rest of the time we're hoping to just take photo walks, explore the piazzas, and find some good restaurants.

We're staying near the forum, so most sights are in walking distance.

Do you think the Roma pass is needed for this trip, is it worth the 34 euro?

In addition, if anyone knows of the best little areas to shop for the typical, touristy, Italia jackets and other memorabilia, a couple of family members have specifically requested that we bring these back.

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it!

Brianna

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Roma Pass a good idea?

If you're only going to see one site that's covered by the pass then it won't be worthwhile to get it. Just book colosseum tickets online and save the rest of the money. Unless you plan to visit three sites covered by the pass and use public transportation it makes more sense to just pay for the sites out of pocket than getting the pass.

As for visiting the Vatican museums on free Sunday, you couldn't pay me enough money to make me go through that craziness. It will be so crowded you won't have time to stop and look at the exhibits. It gets to the point where you are pushed along with the massive crowd and can do nothing about it. If it's at all possible I would suggest visiting on any other day and simply paying the entry fee. You'll be glad you did.

Donna

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Roma Pass a good idea?

Totally agree with Donna, I wouldn't venture into the Museums on the free Sunday. Google something like - photo crowd Sistine Chapel - or maybe - photo crowd Vatican Museum on free Sunday -.

Shopping for touristy jackets, etc., the street(s) between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain have all the shops/kiosks you could want and most everything in between.

Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Roma Pass a good idea?

Thanks for the heads up on the Vatican Museum! Would the Saturday before be a better bet? Assuming we can get tickets ahead of time for this as well?

Any specific place you like to buy your tickets in advance? I know there are a lot of different companies selling them. We'd like the combined Coliseum / Forum ticket; I've heard there are a few different types of Coliseum tickets, and we'd like to visit each level.

Thanks so much for the shops suggestion, I really appreciate it.

4. Re: Is the Roma Pass a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:20