We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

My partner and I wish to visit a Rome. My budget can be stretched but my partner does not want to spend over £450 each. So we don't know whether to go for 3 days as we don't know if that gives us enough time, maximum is 4 days end of May/beginning of June. This would be my first visit. I love shopping for souvenirs, not clothes as I'm rather large and fashion doesn't seem to do large. I love Ancient Roman history, well the military and gladiatorial part anyway. I'm not interested in museums as such. I would like to visit the Vatican but not stay near there.

I suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia so the less lengthy travelling about, the less stress for me as would be shorter walks as the hotel would become my 'safety zone'. So if the hotel is near shops, eateries, bars then it would be better for me.

I obviously want to visit the major attractions especially the Colosseum, Vatican and Trevi Fountain.

If you feel Rome is not for me, please don't hesitate on telling me so as long as you are polite.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Regarding hotels, I admit I like being pampered but understand that this is Rome and that rooms will be small, views etc limited with our budget. However I don't want to feel like I'm in a hostel as some hotels in Rome have been described on this site!

PS I have done a lot of research but there really aren't sections specially for people with panic disorder obviously which is why I'm asking real people, normal folk like me, for advice !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

You need to say what the hotel budget is - I assume the budget you quoted is for the entire trip - Just break out the hotel budget in euros and people can offer useful suggestions.

Many areas of Rome are bursting with restaurants, shops, etc - it's really only if you stay further away from the center in the more fully residential areas that you may need to walk a bit more for shops, restaurants -

But if you want to be close to many of the sites - look in areas like Monti, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo de'Fiori, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Jewish Ghetto, parts of Trastevere - all of these areas are places where you can pretty walk outside and look right, left, front and back and see cafes, restaurants, shops.

Not all sites will close by - you can either walk or take a bus/tram/metro to many of them - but, many are walkable from the areas I mention - with the Vatican and Colosseum - book the Vatican Museums and Colosseum online in advance if you want to skip the long lines to enter.

You are going in high season so prices for lodging will be up vs what it would be right now, for example. Book soon -

You can check www.venere.com and www.booking.com - sort by budget, and look at location.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,298 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

Go to the site for Hotel Piemonte. I was able to book for 4 nights for a total of 220 Euros.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,348 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

I agree with Momcat, find a hotel in the city center and work the sites from there. 450 pounds is about 540 euros so you can spend about 135 per night if you stay for 4 nights or 180 per night if you stay for 3 nights. You can certainly find something nice in the city center for that amount.

Staying in the city center will put you close to a lot of the sites. You'll easily be able to walk from the hotel to the sites within a half hour at the most. There will also be plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.

donna

London, England
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

We stayed in a ice enough hotel in Trastevere last July. It cost us 100 euros a night for a double room on BB. Diagonally across the road were a couple of reasonably priced restaurants. It was easy to get around by bus and tram and the little electric bus that stopped in front of the hotel. I booked it on venere.com who seem to be quite good for Italian hotels.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

Hi Just returned from 6 days in Rome and suggest the hotel Andriotti close to the termini. Its a quiet little hotel in a side street away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to shops. resturants and all the attractions. I wouldnt suggest being in the middle of things if you need some quiet time and this hotel will give you some calm in a very busy city. Have a wonderful time, avoid the trains at peak rush hour times as very busy, take some good walking shoes and wander the most amazing city in the world x

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

I had a friend who suffered from agoraphobia, and she had a great deal of anxiety when in a crowd. At concerts, she had to always sit in the last row so that she felt able to escape if her anxiety became overwhelming.

With this in mind, many of the main tourist sites can be quite crowded at the end of May, especially the Colosseum, the Vatican Museums, and St. Peter's Basilica. I would urge you to skip the Vatican Museums altogether, as I've never seen them uncrowded, and the crowds are often too much for me, without agoraphobia. For visits to St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum, I suggest that you go in late afternoon, when the crowds have usually melted away.

There are many ancient Roman sites that don't get a lot of visitors, but none of the ones I know are specifically related to military history. The Colosseum is the only place associated with the gladiators. You can view one of the ancient gladiator training schools from above, on Via Ladicana where it branches off from Piazza del Colosseo, where the Colosseum is. I don't think there are any informative plaques to describe what you're looking at.

You would probably enjoy the Underground Tour of the Colosseum, which takes you to the underground area where the gladiators waited for their combat, and where the wild animals were caged. I don't know if you'd have difficulty being part of a tour group, and there is a fair amount of climbing of steep steps on the tour, especially to reach the upper level which is also part of the tour. There is an elevator to take you down to the lower level, but I read recently that it was being repaired because of flood damage. I would hope it would be fixed by late May.

You would probably enjoy the Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum, which can be entered on the same ticket as the Colosseum. You might want to take a tour of these areas, as the sites are vast and the signage is poor.

Some of the other ancient sites in Rome, which are almost always uncrowded, are Ostia Antica, the ancient Roman port city; Castel Sant'Angelo, originally intended as a mausoleum for the emperor Hadrian, but turned into a fortress in the middle ages; Trajan's Market, a complex of administrative offices with shops on the ground floor, across from the Roman Forum; Le Case Romane, under the church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo on the Celio Hill, and the Ara Pacis, the Altar of Peace commissioned by the Emperor Augustus to commemorate the Pax Romana.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

Rome's little electric buses (#116, 117, 119, etc.) are smaller and far less crowded and can be more relaxed than the commuter buses. You might enjoy doing part of a loop through the historic center on one of them. One route ends near the beautiful Villa Borghese Gardens, also (but you have to walk from there for that particular route). You can find a map on line under Le Linee Elettriche Rome.

8. Re: Where to stay in Rome - special circumstances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:19