We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

My husband and I last minute added this trip to Italy--Newbies !

Little about us.....we are GREAT Travelers ! Walking, doing with out food (for sometime) , easy peasy kind of people. Though we enjoy wonderful things- we also want to make the MOST of this trip. Who knows if we could ever return and if so when. My eldest son is marrying a woman from Paris- we will be meeting her family for the first time. Anyways that's why we tagged on this trip. Italy first then France.

Do want to share my daughter lived in Florence for 3 months (Arts). Know something of Florence-

Told her I'd like to go from Rome June 29th to Venice stay until July 1, then July 1 to Florence stay till July 4 , then to Rome July 4 and leaving mid day July 6th.

What she shared was Rome isn't what I think. It is a huge city- and shared we can see the main sites in a DAY. Love to see Pompeii too. What do you all think?

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

So you'll have 8 days in Italy and want to see 3 major cities AND Pompeii??? It will take a total of about 4 hours each way to get from Rome to Pompeii and back. Pompeii is a very large site and it will take several hours to see it well.

Yes, you can see some things in Rome, and I mean see them only. You won't have any time to visit much in the Vatican, tour the Colosseum, or visit any galleries. Slow down a little and taste the wine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

Well, no one here has any interest in not telling you the truth: no you can't see the main sites in Rome in a day - it is not only a large city (not as large as Los Angeles) but it is also a few thousands years old with all the amazing treasures, art, history, architecture, etc that would imply.

Get yourself a good guidebook (for all of Italy) and start to choose your sites - you will need to prioritize carefully so you don't miss out on the few sites you will be able to see that are important for you to see.

I don't see where you be able to travel south to visit Pompei as it is an enormous site and would take a few hours from Rome to get there.

I'm not fully understanding your route - are you flying into Rome from LA - then traveling all the way to Venice only to travel all the way down to Rome to fly to Paris? Sorry, it's not clear to me. If that's the plan, I'd change it to flying from LA to Venice, then Florence, then finish your time in Rome and fly from there to Paris.

This is a lot of traveling around - I think you are underestimating the distances and time involved in getting from one place to another. Not unusual for someone going the first time to Italy.

And, I will say, as much as I adore Rome (and I have been there more than 20 times) I don't think I would go for 1.5 days. But, if you want to do all that travel for such a brief time there, obviously, that is your choice.

Guidebook and map are really essential in helping to plan a trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

Yes, first THANK YOU for responding. Know what you mean about flying into Rome. Wondering if we are able to change to Venice. My son also went to Rome with his Latin Club years ago. Shared that Pompeii you can do in a day- shared there would be more to see, but we'd get the jest of it.

Would you spend more time in Florence or Rome?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,694 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

Let me repeat MomCat's advice - you need to get yourself a map.

While it is possible to get to Pompei and back in a day from Rome, you need to consider if it's important enough to justify the time and money. Pompei is 150 miles from Rome; with a car and driver taking you door-to-door you'd still spend about six hours getting there and getting back, figuring in traffic. If you'd be using public transit it will take even longer, as you'd need to take a train to Naples, then another train to Pompei.

If you're considering this as one of your 1.5 days in Rome, why go to Rome at all?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

You probably can see all the main sites of Rome in a day. That is if you mean taking a bus tour and seeing the Vatican, the Colosseum and the Forum from the outside, and ignoring all the minor sites (of which there are plenty). There is a huge amount to see in Rome, and it definitely takes more than a day to see them all. Where I do agree with your daughter is that Rome is a big and busy city with lots of traffic, though there are some areas where cars are not allowed. In this sense it is different from Florence and Venice which are both medium sized cities.

Have you already booked your flights? Because you will have to ask the airline whether you can change your flights.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

Of course you can "see" all those spectacular places in a very short time. Will you remember them? Probably not. Will you enjoy yourselves? Probably not. As others have mentioned, get a good map and a guide book. Read up on those places, with the amount of time you have - 2 cities max and you will barely scratch the surface.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

You will see things from outside, but mostly it will be a blurr of travel and jet lag.

Fly into Rome, enjoy Rome. Take the train to Venice, enjoy Venice. Fly home from Venice.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

As I've said on this forum many times; rent a plane, get a pair of binoculars, and fly over Italy for a few hours. You'll "get the gist of it" and see it in about as much depth.

Pottersville, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

It sounds like perhaps you are not really interested in Rome. That is fine-- there is no rule that you must spend time there. It's ok to spend the days you have just enjoying Florence and Venice (you might even be able to squeeze in a Tuscan town). Also, I always find it helpful to keep in mind that what I found enjoyable as a college age traveller (ie, seeing Rome or traveling to/from Pompeii in a day) is very different from what I now enjoy as a member of the over-40 club. Just something to consider.

Also, do think carefully about your flights and general transportation routes. Fly into one city and out of another to avoid doubling back. You should be able to fly pretty easily from Venice to Paris, as one possibility. Buon viaggio!

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: here I go.....appreciate the TRUTH!

Pick two cities for the time you have. I would not want to spend less then 3 or 4 full days in Rome for your first trip. With that amount of time you can just scratch the surface. The city of Rome is like walking around a giant museum. Around every corner is a wonderful ancient treasure. It's a great walking city.

Pick Florence if you really like art, also a great walking city. Venice is a city like no other. People either hate it or love it. Entering Venice by water you are greeted by a city like none other in the world. I fell in love with both Rome and Venice.

To really appreciate Italy you need to spend some time in each area, don't waste your vacation watching the scenery through the windows of a train. You won't find and appreciate Italy unless you slow down.

Get a guide book and find what interests you. Then start planning.