We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

hawaii
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

I just purchased electronic tickets on Trenitalia today for a trip we are taking in June. I was able to purchase super economy fares (which are non-refundable and non-changable) for a same day round trip Roma Termini-Firenze Santa Maria Novella and a one way from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale. I chose automatic seat assignment to put the four of us together. I did not have to register (I checked non sono registrato) and I was able to use my US Master Card. I called Capital One first to let them know I was going to make an online purchase at Trenitalia website using euro currency. There are no foreign transaction fees with Capital One. I also provided my .net email address (not a .com) and received a confirmation email in my inbox in less than a minute. The confirmation included my booking code, master code and ticket code with a pdf to print out and show to the conductor once we are already onboard, no validation needed. I would think that I could also show them the email confirmation on my iphone as proof of purchase. I hope this clears up any confusion. Happy travels!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,957 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,816 reviews
from US$123.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,602 reviews
from US$57.20*
US$63.50
Northborough...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

I too just bought my tickets today! July travel...I signed up for email alerts from italiarail.com when the tickets become available and was able to get super economy 1st class for the same price as 2nd class...very happy! A lot of people say just to wait but it was so cheap.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,080 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

There really is no need to book first class tickets unless the trip is more than 4 or 5 hours and you just want a free drink. The seats are not that much different, and neither is the service. You can get great deals through the official website such as 9 euro tickets between a lot of cities if you book in advance.

As for italiarail, I just did a dummy booking on them for tickets from Rome to Florence. They want 43 euros for any of their trains, yet on the official trenitalia website you can book the same trains for 29 euros or if you travel later in the morning you can get tickets for 21.50 euros. I would suggest cancelling your booking with them if you can and buying directly with trenitalia to save yourself some money.

donna

Edited: 14 March 2014, 11:10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

I noted too a few weeks ago that Italiarail did not seem to have the full schedule of trains - and, consequently - all available discounted fares.

Definitely stick with Trenitalia (or Italo though it has less routes, may also offer similar low fares as Trenitalia) - but if considering Italiarail - confirm first by looking at Trenitalia's site that the schedule/discounts are identical or don't buy from Italiarail.

What the OP described is how it has always worked for me; in other words, just fine. I appreciate some people have issues with Trenitalia but I think some of that comes from believing they need to register and if they don't want to (I never have), they should click on the choice "non sono registrato" - and alert your bank to the foreign transaction. If you try to do anything without clicking on that, you can hit a roadblock.

No need to buy first class as noted by dbabe - unless the cost of a first class seat is the same price as a super economy seat for the same train in second class (which is unlikely).

Save those euros for something fun!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

Donna, the Italiarail site is showing prices in US$ while the Trenitalia site is showing prices in €. $43 is roughly equivalent to €29. (At today's exchange rate, it would be about $40.50, but they always allow a cushion for exchange rate fluctuations.) So I don't think the prices are out of line with the Trenitalia prices.

I see all the same trains on both sites, except that the regional trains are only visible on the Italiarail site if you click on "Click here to display all schedules". Given that buying regional tickets online is not a good idea, because they're more restricted than the paper tickets you can buy at any train station in Italy, I think that it's wise not to show the option. You can't buy them online anyway, except within 7 days of travel.

On the high-speed Frecciarossa trains, there are no longer first and second classes. The old second class is now called "standard class". Then, in order of price, there are premium, business (or business quiet), and Executive (which never has super-economy tickets). There is also Business Salottino, which are seats in separate small compartments that can be reserved for business meetings on the train; this also never has super-economy fares.

It often happens that super-economy is sold out in "standard" class (the old second class) but is still available in the higher classes. In this case, you can usually get a ticket for one of the higher classes at the same price as the cheapest available standard class ticket. For example, for the random date I chose in May, the super-economy tickets are sold out for standard class on the 8:19 train from Florence to Rome. These tickets would normally be €19. The cheapest ticket in standard class on that train are the economy tickets, which cost €29. However, there are still super-economy tickets for sale in Business, Business Quiet (Silenzioso) and Premium classes. Super-economy tickets for these classes cost €29, the same as the economy tickets in standard class. In this case, you should absolutely buy the business or business quiet class tickets.

I myself wouldn't pay more for the higher classes (and neither would most Italians, which is why the super-economy tickets for standard class sell out first). The amount of extra room is minimal, and it's just not worth a 30% increase to get a juice and a newspaper. I can get those in the station for a few euros. If you don't read Italian, the newspaper would be useless.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30,500 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

How much did you get your tickets for?

hawaii
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

I paid 172EU for 4 people traveling premium roundtrip Rome-Firenze and 86EU for 4 people traveling premium one way Rome-Napoli.

7. Re: Information Purchasing Trenitalia Tickets Online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18