We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Monday in Rome

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Monday in Rome

Hi All.

I will be in Rome for one night on 21 April 2014, which is Easter Monday. I Would be grateful for any suggestions as to how to spend the afternoon and/or what will be open in terms of museums etc.

Thank you for your help!

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

First things first... the 21st of April is also the "Natale di Roma"; look for parades and/or other re-enactments. Second, Easter in Rome is nothing to write home about - quite the contrary. I believe that most sites (with the exception of the Vatican and its museums) will stay open that day; restaurants/shops and other tourist venues in the city centre will most certainly stay open, that's for sure.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,787 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Check the official websites for the museums or sites you want to visit to see their opening days/dates

Some close only for May 1 and December 25 - others also close January 1 - so, you need to check which you wish to go to to be sure of the times open. Some are closed on Mondays, some open.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Also, public transportation (incl. trains) will be running as usual.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Thank you both, Quirite and MomCat.

Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Hi

My wife and I were in Rome one Easter Monday and remarkably there was very little traffic. So we hired scooters and had a little "Roman Holiday". They're a great way to get around town.

Have fun.

Hokioi

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Sounds like fun! I'll certainly consider it. Thanks Hokioi.

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
285 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Hi there! We will also be in Rome for Easter Monday,and are planning to watch the re-enactments and parade at Circus Maximus. I believe it starts around 11.30a.m,and continues until the early evening. I think there is also a firework display,celebrating Natale di Roma.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 22:05
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Thanks Heather. I found mention of that when I was poking around some websites. My flight arrives at Fiumicino at 11 am, so I'll probably toddle along there after checking in to my accommodation and having some lunch. Then I think I'll just wander and follow wherever my feet and curiousity and/or the crowds take me! Enjoy your time in Rome. Deirdre

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
285 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

That's pretty much what we'll be doing Deirdre :) We arrive a few days before,but plan a fairly free day on the Monday,just wandering and seeing where we end up! I believe the re-enactments,gladiators and centurions etc also go to the Colosseum,so we'll just see where our feet take us. Have fun,Heather.

Level Contributor
1,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter Monday in Rome

Romans usually travel outside rome to the countryside or seaside on the easter monday that's why tge streets can be empty.