We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome, hotel vs apartment

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome, hotel vs apartment

Hi I will be on my honeymoon in Rome during October this year, I am deciding if I should rent an apartment or stay at a hotel. Immediate things like no concierge, or no breakfast at an apartment come to mind but does anyone have any experience with either or both that might help make my decision? Thanks so much in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Appia Antica Resort
Appia Antica Resort
#1 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Hotel Santa Maria
Hotel Santa Maria
#10 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Nerva Boutique Hotel
Nerva Boutique Hotel
#8 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

Even if you are staying in a hotel, it often costs less to get a better breakfast at a nearby cafe.

In a hotel, you will have the reception desk (but usually not a concierge) to assist the information on tourist sights, public transport, etc. Only expensive hotels will have a concierge.

In an apartment, you have to fend for yourself. Usually an apartment will cost less than a hotel of equivalent quality, and you can save money by making your own breakfast (and maybe some other meals) instead of going to a cafe or restaurant.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,855 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

It really depends on the kind of traveler you are and, to some extent, how long you'll be staying.

I wouldn't bother with an apartment stay for a visit of only three or four days, but for a longer stay I'd absolutely do it. I like having a bit more room to spread out, and the ability to eat some meals "in" when on a longer trip. A week or more of three meals a day in restaurants wears on me.

An apartment is a bit more work, however, and it's not for everyone. There's no one there to clean up after you as there is in a hotel, and that might not be how you want to spend your honeymoon. As you've noted, there's no front desk to help out with questions or recommendations.

On the other hand it's fun to pretend, even for a little while, that you're actually living in Rome, stopping at the green grocer, the deli, a bakery, the butcher, etc. on your way "home" at the end of a day of touring.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 12:49
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

I have stayed in both and would recommend an apartment. True you have to look after the place yourself but the advantage of having more space, access to a kitchen, washing machine and outdoor space is great. And yes it's nice to live like a local, shop in local markets even just for a couple of days.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

I stay in an apt in Rome when I visit. It's cheaper and there is more room. I am a do-it-yourselfer. I don't cook in the apt and eat out mostly.

When you stay in a apt, you hav e to go to the grocery store for all your won toilet paper, soap, and drinks. You have to pay cash (in euros) on arrival; hardly any Rome landlords take Paypal or credit cards.

If the hot water heater shuts off on Sunday responses to fix it can vary a lot by landlord?agency.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

I stay in both depending on the circumstances. I much prefer a hotel, but I agree with Els that for a longer trip, an apartment has its advantages. It does get tired always eating out, although even with a hotel, you can pick something up at a grocery to eat in the hotel room.

You have to do a lot more research and homework to find a good apartment, and for a week or more, it may be worth the trouble. An apartment is also convenient when you're traveling with small children or with elderly people who go to bed early; the rest of you can stay up late in another room and chat. Usually, I get an apartment when we're traveling as a family group.

Other disadvantages haven't been mentioned. You usually (in Italy) have to carry large amounts of cash to pay the balance on arrival. I don't really care to carry that much cash, and I especially don't like withdrawing large amounts of cash from an ATM (which in Italy will have a limit for each withdrawal, usually €250) while also trying to keep an eye on my luggage. You have to make an appointment to meet the keyholder, who accepts payment and hands over the key. I'm always asked to call this person when I arrive at the airport (or train station), which means you have to have a phone that will work locally. Usually you can't check in until mid-morning or early afternoon; a hotel will at least hold your bags for a few hours, but with an apartment you can't do that.

I don't get any fun from "living like locals". I do quite enough grocery shopping at home, and I travel to see historic sites, go to plays or concerts, and visit museums. Any housekeeping I have to do eats into my holiday time.

I absolutely wouldn't go to an apartment on my honeymoon. You don't want to be cleaning the shower stall and shopping for toilet paper on your honeymoon!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

We have stayed in both. I agree with bvlenci. While I prefer an apartment, your honeymoon is special so whatever makes the time special for you and your future husband. Mind you walking around rome with the person you love is special in itself.

Good Luck

Jann 58

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

I love my apartments, but if I was on my honeymoon I would want to be waited on and have my room serviced daily and feel pampered. For a honeymoon, book a nice hotel room. At the very least a wonderful B&B like this

http://www.relaisalsenato.it/home_en.htm

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

Thank you everyone for all the great advice I will definitely keep it all in mind in the next few weeks planning everything.

Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
543 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

I agree that apartments are great. I'm getting to the point now where I don't even enjoy hotels as much as renting my own place.

Like some others said though, if it was my honeymoon, I'd splurge on the best hotel I could afford.

Congratulations! And, have a wonderful honeymoon

Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome, hotel vs apartment

Yes I am very torn thank you everyone for your input, I love renting apartments as opposed to staying in a h