We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from paris to rome

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
train from paris to rome

how should i plan for a train trip from paris to rome. which are the stations to look out for /tranfers or transits?

how does the europass france-italy pass work?

between the no of days against the no of italian cities to visit?

how does the pre-booking work? or do i just show up ??

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,783 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from paris to rome

Do not get a rail pass for Italy. It's a waste of money. Just buy point to point tickets online before your trip.

You should have your duplicate post removed to avoid confusion.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from paris to rome

I would not take a train from Paris to Rome but fly: however if you are tempted by Ryanair to Rome-Ciampino, note that they go from Paris-Beauvais which is a considerable distance from Paris, with a shuttle bus from Porte Maillot.

If you really want to do it by train, you'll normally be leaving from Paris-Lyon (= Gare de Lyon) and arriving at Roma Termini. However, it depends, as do transit stations, on which route/departure you select when buying your ticket: you can do it with 2 trains, changing only in Turin, or with several, changing in e.g. Milan and Bologna, or you can take an overnight train, e.g. Dijon to Milan...

I don't know what a "europass france-italy" might be, is it a Eurail pass? These are only value for money if you would be doing a LOT of train travel in the countries covered, and when one of those countries is Italy, it would still be better to buy individual tickets. It is up to you to work out on how many days you would be travelling, which would determine how many days you buy the pass for.

Whether you are travelling on a pre-booked (with reservation, for those trains that require it) or pre-purchased ticket or buying tickets at the station, of course you "just show up" for the train in question. Not sure what you mean here.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Ciampino
Ciampino
Province of Rome, Italy
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: train from paris to rome

I would fly too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from paris to rome

I would fly too, but if you want the experience, the fastest connection would be from Paris Gare de Lyon to Milan. Get the first train at 7:49 arriving in Milan 2:51pm, and book a sufficient buffer in case of late arival, and book perhaps a 4:25pm train to Rome.

DO NOT buy a pass !

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from paris to rome

Thanks guys,

We are looking at the flights options too.

As we are planning to return to to Paris for our flight back to Asia. So the return via train does cost a bomb.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from paris to rome

Book a multi city air ticket save back tracking, and fly home from Rome www.singaporeair.com

Paris to Rome fly www.easyjet.com www.vueling.com

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from paris to rome

Without knowing time frames it's hard to say, if you want to get there fast fly for sure, but the train could be a holiday in itself.

Have a look at http://www.seat61.com it's a very good site for train travel info.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from paris to rome

>>So the return via train does cost a bomb.<<

Depends when you are going. You should be able to get combined tickets (Paris->Milan, Milan->Rome) for approximately € 90

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from paris to rome

If it were me and I had time available, I would definitely take the train.

I'm such a big kid when it come to train journeys, I always have a feeling of excitement when the train starts to pull out of the Gare de Lyon and make its way to the Alps. Even though the views are not as spectacular as those if you go via Switzerland, they're not bad and you get a true sense of the distance travelled as you watch the scenery change as you pass by.

With a good book and a glass of wine it's a very civilised way to travel.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from paris to rome

Seat 61 is a good site. Extremely informative