We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about the ROMA PASS

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Question about the ROMA PASS

Hello , we will be in Rome this June for 4 days/4 nights and we are looking to take advantage of the Roma pass but is there a 1 day pass that you can purchase on top of the 3 day pass? The 3 day pass will not be enough for us .. is the public transport pricey? We will be staying in the city centre .. close to all the major attractions .. and looking to visit The Colloseum, Vatican City & so on. Not too interested in Museums.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

The Roma Pass will not cover the Vatican Museums as it is not in Rome - so, if the only site covered by the pass you want to see is the Colosseum, no, it would not be worth it.

Read up here on public transportation in Rome (costs, types of tickets, etc):

roninrome.com/transportation/bus-metro-tram-…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

we are interested in other sites aside from Colloseum too .. also the Borghese Gallery (we must do at least one museum haha) .. ok great thanks for the website .. lots of info there!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine is all considered ONE site - if you plan to use it for the Borghese and some transportation, then it may be worth the price. Add up the cost of transportation - it's cheap and then decide.

Call the Borghese to reserve your time (necessary to do) and tell them you will be using the pass. You will then need to get to the Borghese about 45 minutes prior to your time to pick up your tickets, check bags, etc -

Yes, there is a lot of great Rome info on his site.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

There are tons of threads on the topic of the Roma Pass. Here are a few recent ones:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k71609…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k72550…

Go through the Roma Pass website -- http://www.romapass.it/?l=en -- and calculate whether it looks like you will break even, depending on what sights you will see (keeping in mind the Vatican Museums are not included and you could easily spend a whole day there). Some people just find the Roma Pass very convenient and worth a premium since they don't have to order skip the line tickets at the Colosseo or buy individual public transport tickets. But whether it is worth it depends on where you want to go, how many places you go to (keeping in mind you only get a discount at places after the first two, although there are some smaller museums that can be visited for free with the Roma Pass even after the first two). So, figure out where you are going and what the cost would be, then compare to the cost of the Roma Pass. When doing your planning, always check when museums are closed, several (such as the Borghese) are closed Mondays.

We recently bought a Roma Pass and in three days had over 60 euros of value (we've put up a blog post about it), but many of the places we saw were not the usual first-time visit list (in total, we visited Castel Sant'Angelo, MACRO, the Napoleonic Museum, Museo Carlo Bilotti, Museo Pietro Canonica, and the Museo della Repubblica Romana e della Memoria Garibaldina, plus rode the bus frequently).

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

Frankly, if you are going to at least two sites, and you are going to use the transportation for 3 days (at let's say 6x/day), then I think it is worth it. Just because in June, you can skip the lines at the Colosseum if you use the pass 1st or 2nd time there. You can use it at the Borghese (though you can't skip any line there). In June, the line to the Colosseum could be 2 hours long.

So, I think even if I don't break "even", I've enjoyed the convenience of skipping some lines and not having to buy individual tickets every time I get on a bus or tram. So, convenience is a benefit.

You can also use the pass at the Castel Sant'Angelo, which I imagine you will want to see. It is a fascinating old fort and you have incredible views of Rome and Vatican City from the top of the castle.

You can also use the pass to get a discount on the 110 Open Bus. It is a really nice ride around the city in the open air, and you get some nice views of same major sites. It is hop on/hop off.

There is also a pretty good map included in the Roma Pass kit.

You can buy the Pass in lots of places, but you defeat the purpose of bypassing the line if you buy it at the Colosseum. My suggestions: at the airport or train station when you arrive. Or there is a very handy tourist information booth just northeast of the Piazza Navona that also sells them.

Buon viaggio!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

very useful information Sarge56!

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

I don't agree. If it doesn't break even, there isn't any convenience in the roma pass.

A normal 3 days pass for transportation is just 16 euros (you can buy it everywhere) and you can skip the lines also booking on the museum's website, you don't need to have the roma pas for that.

Think about what you want to see and make calculation. If the 3 day pass plus entry fees of what you want to visit is cheaper than roma pass, don't buy the roma pass.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

good point heisenbergduke .. so can we purchase the regular pass in rome or is it in advance? does it also give us the ability to skip the lines .. we are worries that the lines to the colloseum will be very long in june

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

If you went to the Colosseum (€17.30), The Borghese (€11) and Castel Sant'Angelo (€10.50), that totals €38. The card is €34. First two sites are free. So €34-28.30=€5.70. Even if you got only a 20% discount at the Castel, that would be another €3. If you'd spend more than €2.70 on bus/tram tickets, you have broke even.

Again, do the math for yourself. I think its a good deal if you are going to 3 or more of the places that take the pass, and especially if you use your two free entrances at the most expensive sites.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,871 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about the ROMA PASS

Actually, the colosseum entry fee (with the reservation fee) is 14 euros. The reduced price for the Castel Sant Angelo is 7 euros. The Borghese is 16 (with the reservation fee).

So that's 14+7+16=37

So that pays for the pass with a slight savings. It also includes transportation so that would be a bigger savings. Even if you don't do the Castel Sant Angelo but you use public transport 3 or more times the pass will save you money.

Donna