We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How tired are you...

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How tired are you...

The day you arrive from a super long flight? We will be arriving at approx 9am from LAX with a short layover at JFK. Just wondering if I should schedule a Colosseum tour for later that day. Trying to get something under our belt that first day.

Thank you.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How tired are you...

I wouldn't schedule any tours the first day. Just wander the city visiting free sites and piazzas. You may not be very tired when you arrive but by the afternoon it will probably hit you. Just try to stay outdoors. You might want to visit the forum and palatine hill and do the colosseum on your second day.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How tired are you...

Agree - go and enjoy the Pantheon which is not far from Piazza Navona which is a few minutes from Campo de'Fiori - all these wonderful outdoor treasures which require no planning or reservations

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How tired are you...

For me personally, what I am going to see is the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps because the Colosseum is something that I have always have wanted to see thus I would wait to do it a day when I have a lot more energy and time to view and enjoy it. I would do some things that may not require as much energy to use the first day I arrive.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 19:27
Seattle
Level Contributor
609 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How tired are you...

I agree. When we fly overnight to Europe, we don't try to do too much other than walk around and stay outside as much as we can. Usually, you an only drop off your luggage at the hotel as rooms aren't usually ready when you arrive. By afternoon, we start to get weary and struggle to stay up but we do. We try to stay up as late as we can on that first night. It really helps us adjust to the time change. We never do anything real structured.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How tired are you...

If it's your first time and if you are really excited about it you probably won't feel tired at first but your eyes will close at about 3pm. Take a short nap, then head out for an aperitivo and nice dinner and go to bed at what would be your normal time. You'll be good as new the next day. This works for me, might work for you too. On my first trip I traveled from LAX via Chicago then on to Rome, landing at 9am and all went as described above. I no longer follow the "no nap" rule (after nearly becoming a hood ornament in London after an overnighter while following the "no nap" rule) and find that a brief one on the first day helps my eyes open and stay open later so that I can stay up and acclimate sooner to local time. Plan your tours for the first full day and be prepared to have a blast! (Sorry if all this is TMI.)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How tired are you...

Walk in order to stay awake. Don't go on a tour You need to stay awake so that jet lag doesn't drag on for another day.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
855 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How tired are you...

I also stopped following the no-nap rule and we only fly in from the East Cost. I do keep the nap ( sometime in the afternoon, usually after lunch) to about an hour though and go to bed that night around 9 or 10.

Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How tired are you...

Thanks everyone!

I think I'll follow Donna's advice...Forum and Palatine Hill, only. Colosseum next day.

pnaj, "Hood ornament"...yikes! I'm a napping gal...so nap I will. Never TMI...more the better!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How tired are you...

Honestly, I wouldn't attempt the Forum and Palatine Hill on your first day as there is a TON to see and you really need an audio guide or very good guidebook to understand what you are seeing. I would also recommend the Pantheon, Campo di Fiori, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Ara Pacis. That will be more than enough to keep you busy and walking around in the fresh air.

Jetlag on day 1 is always an issue for me, especially flying from the West Coast. This last trip I broke my no-nap rule and am glad I did. I wander around in the morning, have a nice lunch, then nap for ONLY 1 hour, then freshen up, wander, aperitivo, dinner then crash.

lincoln
Level Contributor
688 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How tired are you...

I think Donna is actually suggesting that you do the Forum ,Palatine and Colloseum all on your second day, stick with engreds suggestions for your first day.